PDA

View Full Version : Bankroll?

bdmcgraw
03-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Question: What bankroll is necessary to win at 6max?

I have heard 150BB, 300BB, 600BB. Any thoughts as to which, in your opinion, is correct? I wouldn't think 600BB would be necessary, as I've never even struggled with 150BB.

However, I'm currently planning on moving up in limits (from 1-2) to eventually 5-10. What should my bankroll be to ensure variance doesn't kill me as I move up in limits?

Alobar
03-19-2005, 03:48 PM
The size of your bankroll is dependant on your win rate and your standard devation, and also your comfort level at handling losses.

Assuming you are an average player tho, I would keep at least 300BB at the 1/2 level. 400BB at the 5/10 level, and 500BB at the 10/20 level (this is all 6max). I would also say those would be the minimums and for a greater comfort level it wouldnt hurt to keep more.

OrianasDaad
03-19-2005, 03:51 PM
I think the more, the better, until you are comfortable. It would all depend on what your SD is, I guess. I don't personally know the math.

I play with 600BB.

TStoneMBD
03-19-2005, 03:57 PM
as somebody who has been playing poker seriously for about 10 months now, ive grown to realize that its extremely important to take good care of your bankroll. ive been playing 20/40 live now for a few months, doing well, but i decided to get into online poker because i can make the same amount of money playing 4 tables at lower limits than i can playing 1 table of 20/40, with less bankroll, less swings and more consistency. im starting to feel that i want a 1000BB bankroll to play any limit.

einbert
03-19-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
im starting to feel that i want a 1000BB bankroll to play any limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Losing 50BB in a night is to be expected quite frequently, and it's a huge difference psychologically if that is 5% of your BR rather than 16% or 10% of your BR.

Losing 100BB in a night happens too. Losing 33% of your BR in one night is going to be a really rough experience for most people I would think. Losing 10% of your BR in one night is tough, but it wouldn't affect most people near as much psychologically I believe.

If you're taking money out regularly (as per personal income) the minimum BR needed increases with the frequency you are withdrawing money (it's like having a lower WR overall, so think of what BR you would need if your WR was say half of what it is).

TStoneMBD
03-19-2005, 05:22 PM
the nice thing about 4tabling 3/6 for me, is that im making a heathly hourly rate while not having to be concerned about the swings. when i hit a 50BB downswing the only thing i get mad about is seeing my BB/100 drop .2 points. its not about the money. every point lossed is detrimental to my ego.

STLantny
03-19-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Question: What bankroll is necessary to win at 6max?

[/ QUOTE ]

bankroll has no bearing on whether you can beat a game or not. but if you are asking, how much a winning player should have at a particular 6 max level, id say 500bb or more. I personally started with 800b.

Alobar
03-19-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its not about the money. every point lossed is detrimental to my ego.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, glad im not the only one /images/graemlins/smile.gif