PDA

View Full Version : Top pair - ugly board - HU

spiff21
03-19-2005, 01:55 PM
How many votes for checking the turn, intending to bet/call the river?

Villain is unknown to me.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (5.33 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (3.66 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.66 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.66 BB

einbert
03-19-2005, 02:05 PM
This is perfect. Checking the turn might be okay because it does appear to be a way ahead/way behind situation, but I think on average you win more by betting because you will get paid off by PP's and certainly worse aces here. Gotta call down the turn checkraise imo.

Elbie
03-19-2005, 02:07 PM
No vote from me

I think you played it fine

SackUp
03-19-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think you played it fine

[/ QUOTE ]

I play it the same. He could have just been bluffing the 3 flush. I think you have to call it down.

spiff21
03-19-2005, 04:21 PM
I usually always bet the turn in these situations. Against a good opponent I think it could be good to check since he likely wont call me down with a worse hand. But might call me on the river with any PP.

Schizo
03-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Thats the way I play it.

einbert
03-19-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I usually always bet the turn in these situations. Against a good opponent I think it could be good to check since he likely wont call me down with a worse hand. But might call me on the river with any PP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I would use the word 'good'. More like 'overly aggressive'. If you're afraid of being bluff checkraised on the turn frequently and you feel that your opponent will autobet the river with nothing if you check the turn, checking might have some merit. But if you're getting bluff checkraised enough, there comes a point where it's more profitable to let him bluff checkraise and bluff the river and just call down. I think you would only want to do this if the situation is that when you get checkraised it's very close between calling down and folding, but here it's not terribly close--so I like betting. Even if you're beat now your flush redraw is good most of the time against a T.

Shillx
03-19-2005, 06:58 PM
I dunno I would probably check and call one on the river. If I had A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif I would most certainly check here against a thinking opponent. The only hand that we would not like giving a free card to is 98 but there are only 16 ways to have that hand as compared to 45 ways he could have a flush draw on the flop. Of course if he is calling with a ten we do well by checking and if he has a seven (or a small pocket) he only has 2 outs against us in a 3.7 BB pot. Giving him a free card here isn't the end of the world.

Brad

CallMeIshmael
03-19-2005, 07:03 PM
I'm checking the turn a very large percentage of the time here.

Only the most passive, who almost never CR, will see a bet from me.

einbert
03-19-2005, 09:03 PM
But just as giving a free card against a two-outer isn't bad because they have almost no pot equity, isn't checking when a two-outer would call a bet bad because they would give us almost a full BB then?

I agree that with the Kd a check is much more correct.

EDIT: But checking when a twoouter will never call our turn bet but will always bet the river is certainly the correct play. And getting checkraised sucks since it is fairly close as to whether to call down or not.

Starting to agree with you...