PDA

View Full Version : How to play the flush draw

phobetor
03-19-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm weary about the flush draw. How do some of you play these hands?

Sometimes I'll limp in late with Axs, just to see if you hit something. Does anyone call raises with these? From what I remember, it's about 8-1 against getting 2 or 3 of your suit. The problem is, getting 3 on the flop is hard to get bets since the flush is staring people right in the face and you might only get a bit of action with someone with Kxs. Or someone with two pair or a set (who could hit full-house as well, so you'd want as much money in there on the flop). I don't often see too much action with an overpair, unless they're matching one with the board.

With 2 on the board after the flop, you're still drawing...

So, what's the best way to play the draw? I've bet or re-raised on the flop, just to see if I can take it right there. I'm wondering how profitable that play is. I find at 25NL Party, most don't get scared out, even with weak pairs. I hate calling all the way to the river hoping to complete, it feels so weak and even if you do hit, the payout isn't usually enough. I mean, you can calculate pot-odds to see if it's worth the bets, but this hand doesn't feel as disguised as a mid pocket pairs, so I expect it's not that profitable. In PT, my stats for the Axs hands are mixed, mostly negative and although my overall flush stats are positive, my sets and full houses account for far more.

Just curious how others play these hands...

Thanks

-Skeme-
03-19-2005, 03:04 PM
I don't call raises with AXs. Leads to more trouble than good. I believe the ideal situation for AXs is when you have odds to draw to the flush. You want many people in the hand and you want to get in as cheaply as possible. If you're in the BB and the button raises 4xBB and you have A2s I'd recommend folding.

As far as postflop, it depends. If I think an opponent is weak, I'll sometimes raise him on the semi-bluff with position. If he folds, good. If he calls, I have outs, and when he checks I can take the free card.

phobetor
03-19-2005, 03:52 PM
Makes sense. Everyone plays these in limit, but I never did in no-limit. It appears more people have lately. (Maybe I'm dreaming it.) I just felt there's been more players betting with their draws. I actually never played any of the low Ax suited, I prefer a more tight style. I've opened up a bit lately, trying to be creative.