PDA

View Full Version : computer help (wrong forum, right people)

rybones
03-19-2005, 11:46 AM
First an appology: I know this is the wrong forum but this is where I post.

Now here is my delima:

Often when I am trying to download a file the program that automatically opens and tries to run the program is microsoft imaging. Of course I then get the "this file is not compatable" error message. What is weird is that even if I choose the save to disk option when downloading the file is still saved as a microsoft imaging file even if the file ends in .zip or .exe or plenty of other .endings. Moreover, the pop up menu that asks "what program do you wish to open this with" never comes up. Other times files download just fine (though the popup menu doesn't come up in these cases either). I am fairly sure that at one point or another someone tried to download something and somehow made "microsoft imaging" the default program to use. What I don't know is how to fix the problem. Also, I don't know if this matters but I use win 98 and firefox as my browser.

Anyone, Any help?

Ryan

Hood
03-19-2005, 12:17 PM
As I posted in the other thread, I think your problem isn't with downloading, but just with default extensions. Open up my computer and go to Tools > Folder Options > File Types. This is where it lists all associations - try to delete any references to Microsoft Imaging.

The ZIP file issue should be easy to fix... you can always right click and go to "Open With..." and select your zip program. If you don't see an 'open with' option, try holding down CTRL or SHIFT-CTRL before right-clicking (it differs between operating systems). The EXE problem is harder to fix because these should never be opened with a program.

rybones
03-19-2005, 01:30 PM
This still isn't working. Perhaps it is because I am running windows 98 or perhaps I am an idiot, but when I open "my computer" Tools is not a folder I can open. If I go to "control pannel" in "my computer" I still don't find a tools folder.

Also, when I right click on a zip file I downloaded I do not see an "open with" option. This is true even when I press and hold ctrl or shift+ctrl?

if you have any other suggestions they would be much appreciated.

Ryan

rybones
03-19-2005, 02:45 PM
pretty please with sugar on top!

Ryan

Lefthander
03-19-2005, 02:45 PM
I think in Windows 98 the Folder Options was under the "View" tab from the top.

rybones
03-19-2005, 03:01 PM
ah ha!!!

Thanks a ton to all who helped. I should have been able to figure this out on my own, but then I am an English teacher. Computers and me, well not really!!

Thanks all Ryan