PDA

View Full Version : WSOP Sat. advice (NOT A SNG POST)

sng-sam
03-19-2005, 11:33 AM
This is a 3 table live tournament at someone's house. approx 36 players each put up $375 they get T5000 and the blinds start at 50/100 with 20 minute levels. There are no rebuys. The winner gets 10k for an entry into the WSOP and 2k for expenses. 2nd-7th get 5% of any winnings he may get. So basically it's winner take all.

I would appreciate any advice you guys might have about how to approach this event. As you can imagine I really want to win this. And I value the advice in this forum more than any on 2+2. Thanks in advance

Rick

gumpzilla
03-19-2005, 01:38 PM
I'd try putting this in MTT as well.

Here's my take. 20 minute levels live without professional dealers seem likely to be kind of short. I'm going to guess you're going to get no more than 10 hands in per level while at a full table. In fact, since you appear to have 12 per table, probably longer than that.

If you really do have 3 tables for 36 players, there are going to be two competing influences at the beginning. More players means you have to play more tightly, but the quick rate at which the blinds increase coupled with them already starting at a pretty high proportion of your stack means you don't have a lot of time to dilly-dally and acquire chips at a reasonable pace. Which of these is more important is going to depend on how your opponents are playing, I'd guess.

I think what you'll likely want to end up doing is playing tight for the first orbit or two and then finding yourself already essentially in what should be a pretty familiar 10 BB stack situation, and then open it up. Since only first place is getting a prize with guaranteed value here, chip EV and cash EV considerations aren't important. If you have a good chip EV edge, take it.

This also seems like a very sketchy home game situation; how precisely are they going to enforce that the winner goes to the WSOP? Particularly since he's getting 30% taken out of him, it seems like just taking the money and running is going to be a better play.

sng-sam
03-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Ok I screwed up the post. 4 tables not three.

No pro dealers but each table has a designated dealer who deals every hand. The button passes as normal.

Not worried about sketchy-ness. We're all friends. If number 1 can't go number 2 gets to go instead

Rick

GanAnim
04-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Start pouring your friends shots of tequila!