PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyway to mitigate the damage you take against a set?

Alex/Mugaaz
03-19-2005, 06:22 AM
While it doesn't happen very often. Every single huge pot I lose is to a set. I'll value bet against the loose/passive players relentlesly. I seem to keep having top 2 pair vs a set and lose a huge pot each time. When one of them show agression it's easy to tell what they have if they hit a draw or a high card. But when they hit a low set, especially if its on the turn, what can you do except pay them off big time?

Is this something I should just grin and bear?

jaxUp
03-19-2005, 06:28 AM
I always try to river the nuts against a flopped or turned set. Other than that, not much you can do.

toss
03-19-2005, 06:28 AM
If a loose-passive raises, it usually means trouble. Next time think about calling down or even folding your some of your two pairs. I think your just having a patch of bad luck too. Did you wear green on saint patt'y day?

Alex/Mugaaz
03-19-2005, 07:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If a loose-passive raises, it usually means trouble. Next time think about calling down or even folding your some of your two pairs. I think your just having a patch of bad luck too. Did you wear green on saint patt'y day?

[/ QUOTE ]

No I didn't.

Ya I'm sure part of it is bad luck. I'm just not sure how much credit I need to give to a raise from a passive player. I don't see how you can tell they have a set unless they raised and re-raised pre-flop. I mean the other night 3 way and I had a hand that was capped preflop and flop. I have the bottom set with pocket 6's. I bet, he raises. I figured he had a higher set or hit trip kings on the turn. Too much money to fold so I call here and the river for a showdown. He shows pocket fours on a board of K 7 6, K , 2.

Also I was playing .5/.10 the other day. Some guy bought in for $1,100.00. On top of it he was Loose/weak/ and folded on the river relentlessly. He lost 3 dollars and called it a night. A lot of wierd stuff happening! Damn the Irish!

tiltaholic
03-19-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I seem to keep having top 2 pair vs a set and lose a huge pot each time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how your opponents feel when you win a big pot with a set. Sets are strong. In general, you will lose a lot against sets. Sometimes you can slow down in time to lose less money - but to make a general rule won't work - you need to post some examples. (but don't make it obvious you lost to a set, or people will tend to give you biased suggestions)

shadow29
03-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Fold every single hand pf.