PDA

View Full Version : Are my goals realistic?

MrWizard
03-19-2005, 05:21 AM
Is it realistic for me to expect to be a consistently winning poker player?

I have read and am rereading sshe, I am practicing, and without a doubt improving. I know you don't just become a winner over night, and believe me I have spent countless nights practicing.
My problem is, my bank roll is about at a stand still. Almost every session I have, I do fine, but then once in a while my cards run unusually bad leaving me about where i started. I've moved around limits 1-2 2-4 3-6. So far I like 3-6 the best, but I don't confine myself. Is there something(s) that could improve my practice and get me into better shape? My goal was and still is to pull down some serious bucks from poker... I have the impression that a lot of people are making money online, and I want to be one of them.
If I have underestimated what it takes to be successful, I want to know that too. Do I need to be doing more than reading SSHE/practicing?

I'm so frustrated.. I want to get past breaking even and get some dough!

I need your advice!

should i multitable? read more books? give up? (i hope not)

JoshuaD
03-19-2005, 05:28 AM
Have you read Small Stakes Hold'em?

What books have you read? What limits are you playing? How many hands have you played? Are you using poker tracker?

riffraff
03-19-2005, 05:31 AM
If one is willing to work at their game via study and practice, they can beat low limit for minimum wage. The fact you are participating in the 2+2 forums is a good sign and your goals of simply being a winning player are certainly attainable.

MrWizard
03-19-2005, 05:33 AM
I'm not using pokertracker? Should I be? Where do I get it? I have read texas holdem poker by ken warren... holdem poker by sklansky, zen and the art of archery, SSHE. I have also watched a couple videos on poker like the ledderer ones and some phil helmuth ones...
I'm sorry i don't have stats on how many hands played but I like 36 limit.

MrWizard
03-19-2005, 05:38 AM
So by minimum wage you mean my goals of pulling down some big dollars aren't gonna happen at 36 holdem? I'm not surprised, but what am I looking at if I want to be making big stacks! what hardships are ahead if i want to make the big bucks?

jt1
03-19-2005, 05:39 AM
You need to settle down, dude! I assume you're working some job you're not into and want poker to replace that B.S. you're used to. Otherwise you wouldn't be in such a rush. Start winning at 1/2 consistently and then jump to 3/6 and from there get to the point where you think you're good enough to strut yourself on 2+2

JoshuaD
03-19-2005, 05:39 AM
Throw out the Ken Warren book and the Hellmuth stuff. Re-read SSH a couple times.

Stop playing 3/6 online, it's a pretty rough game. Get 300$ and go play .5/1, get to 600$, move up to 1/2. Get to 1200$, move up to 2/4, etc etc.

MrWizard
03-19-2005, 05:44 AM
I thank you guys for the advice! And will stop playing 36! Do you mind me asking why it is such a rough game?

Schizo
03-19-2005, 05:49 AM
People there play much better then the lower stakes.

riffraff
03-19-2005, 06:31 AM
I guess I didn't see the part where you wanted "big bucks". I thought your goal was just to be a consistantly winning player. My point was only that many people are capable of grinding out a minimum wage, not that you would be limited to that.