PDA

View Full Version : My first HH post, be gentle!

Backov
03-19-2005, 03:09 AM
Party poker $50 NL

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG ($41.35)
Hero ($48.5)
Button ($80.51)
SB ($71.08)
BB ($148.34)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $0.75</font>, BB calls $0.50, UTG calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($4) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, SB calls $4, BB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: ($12) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $12</font>, SB calls $12.

River: ($36) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB calls $54.08 (All-In), Hero calls $31.50 (All-In).

Final Pot: $121.58

How'd I do here? I called with the KJ (instead of folding preflop) because I like to limp with high suited kings like that, even out of position.

The raise was small enough PF that I felt comfortable calling it.

I pot it on the flop and get 2 calls, but no raises.

Pot it again on the turn, not afraid of that flush draw.

Miracle river, I push.

So, how'd I do? Results later.

tbach24
03-19-2005, 03:12 AM
Pre-flop is a double-fold (well single if the table is passive)

As for the actual hand:
Flop is alright. Kinda the flop you were looking for when you called with the hand pre-flop. I dislike KJs from MP for just that reason.
Turn I would check behind. At this point there is not much you beat than Kx. The flush came through and you might be able to fill up on the river.

DasLeben
03-19-2005, 03:25 AM
I don't understand the reasoning behind this statement: "I like to limp with high suited kings like that, even out of position."

What are you hoping to flop that will make you comfortable with this type of hand? The flop of K99 was decent for this hand, but hardly a lock. If you're limping up front in a tight-passive game in order to see if you can flop big, I can see some reasoning behind this. But as you can see, you can really get yourself into a pickle with this hand out of position when you don't flop big.

So yeah...speculative hands like KJ, AJ, AT, etc. should go straight into the muck in your position.

edge
03-19-2005, 04:12 AM
It's 5-handed. Hero is on the cutoff with KJs. UTG limps--I'm definitely not folding this. Raising could be a good idea, limping behind is good, folding is weak.

Check behind on the turn. Villian is on a K, a 9, or the flush, and you don't want to inflate the pot here.

DasLeben
03-19-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's 5-handed. Hero is on the cutoff with KJs. UTG limps--I'm definitely not folding this. Raising could be a good idea, limping behind is good, folding is weak.

Check behind on the turn. Villian is on a K, a 9, or the flush, and you don't want to inflate the pot here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops! Totally didn't notice that it was short-handed. Disregard my comments. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Backov
03-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the insights guys. I was a little overaggressive on the turn, but he was playing so meekly I figured he'd lay down there.

Unfortunately the fishy bugger had KK.

tbach24
03-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Wow it's 5-handed. Pre-flop is fine.

jtr
03-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Hi, Backov.

Welcome to SSNL.

I like the way you played this hand; I'm assuming you would have folded to a push on the turn, right?

I don't mean to be critical, but this is a little bit of a bad beat post in the guise of a strategy question, isn't it? To me this looks like one of those hands where, given the way the action went, you're just doomed to lose your stack to a lucky idiot -- there's nothing you can do about it.

Don't second-guess your own play just because of the awful result. KK guy should be feeling foolish, but you played it well. Get them next time.

MarkL444
03-19-2005, 04:09 PM
raise pf, 2 bucks or so

poboy
03-19-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi, Backov.

I don't mean to be critical, but this is a little bit of a bad beat post in the guise of a strategy question, isn't it? To me this looks like one of those hands where, given the way the action went, you're just doomed to lose your stack to a lucky idiot -- there's nothing you can do about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must be missing something here, where is the bad beat? How is villian a lucky idiot? Villian was lucky yes but an idot no. He was lucky in the sense that hero played this about as bad as it could be played. I mean honestly what do you expect to be shown here? JMO

Backov
03-20-2005, 12:59 AM
Well, let's say I don't agree with you poboy.

To address other posters.

Raise preflop, perhaps. Wouldn't this slowplayer just call, or would he come over the top?

The rest of it, I think I did ok, although obviously I played it more aggressively than some of you would. I don't see how I could have POSSIBLY expected to see KK.. K9, sure. A9, sure. BUT [censored] KK for 1.25 preflop? Not a chance, that was a fish move.

jtr
03-20-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I must be missing something here, where is the bad beat? How is villian a lucky idiot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to mislead. I meant the "lucky idiot" comment as a general idea about there being certain hands where you're just going to lose all your money to someone else who may not play their holding all that well. You know the kind of thing: you hit a full house but walk into unlikely quads, etc.

Specifically on this hand I think the SB (villain) was foolish to raise the minimum preflop with KK, but his play on other streets was defensible, sure.

[ QUOTE ]
Villian was lucky yes but an idiot no. He was lucky in the sense that hero played this about as bad as it could be played. I mean honestly what do you expect to be shown here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're being a little harsh. Hero should have checked behind on the turn, and I should have said so in my first post. But on the river surely it's reasonable to expect hands like A9 or A/images/graemlins/club.gifQ/images/graemlins/club.gif from the villain? Which would make the hero's river action reasonable. Plus I think the hero's flop bet is fine, don't you?