PDA

View Full Version : Bad beats

Leo317
03-19-2005, 02:40 AM
At what level do the really bad beat occur less? I play mostly stud on Paradise .50/1 (no ante) and I play really tight(like a rock). However, the number of bad beat I receive is crazy. I have paired my door card on fourth street several time and had my trip Aces or Kings not hold up on 7th. Too many time to count. I am making a profit at this level but i believe that if i played at a little bit of a higher level the bad beat would not occur as often. Thanks for any feed back

deacsoft
03-19-2005, 03:17 AM
I wish I could tell you more but the bad beats will not stop until you have a table of players that are all playing prefect poker. I know how annoying they can be and how much it can anger you. I've been there. In fact, I'm there every day. Remember one thing though. Bad beats are good. You have to look at the long term picture. The same guy who sucked out on his 10.5 to 1 shot on you today is the same guy who will be paying you off tomorrow. I know. The same people who give me bad beats once in a while are the same ones paying my bills and keeping me in the lifestyle to which I have grown accustomed. /images/graemlins/smile.gif You don't want bad beats to go away. You just need to learn how to better deal with them. Good luck to you.

Cheers,

deacsoft

Leo317
03-19-2005, 03:48 AM
THANK YOU for your reply. You are right. I must learn to deal with them better. Thanks again for your kind words.

deacsoft
03-19-2005, 03:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
THANK YOU for your reply. You are right. I must learn to deal with them better. Thanks again for your kind words.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're very welcome. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

afk
03-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Nice post deacsoft. Here's the way I looked at it when I was starting out: What other game would you play (assuming you're playing to win) that you'd want to play against great players?

These guys are the ones keeping the games good and alive. We just tend to remember more when he catches his 2 outer than when he calls on the end with nothing more than a busted draw.

Roland
03-19-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am making a profit at this level but i believe that if i played at a little bit of a higher level the bad beat would not occur as often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the opposite is true. The 1 /2 games on Paradise are generally looser than the .50/1 games, due to the high ante (.25). So you’ll suffer more bad beats there (as the other posters said, though, this is a good sign). It gets a bit better once you reach 2/4, but not much.
As an aside, this might be a sign that you’re not playing aggressive enough. Isolation raises work quite well in the .50/1 game. At least, charge them the maximum to stay in with there crappy draws and baby pairs.

KenProspero
03-19-2005, 05:52 PM
In other words, it's positive reinforcement -- the fact that the fish occasionally wins a pot with an idiotic play only serves to convince him that the idiotic play was smart to begin with (after all, it was kinda (but not really) like something Daniel Negraneau did in a completely different situation on TV, so it must be right). So he'll keep doing it again and and again and again.