PDA

View Full Version : One aspect of evolution I cannot quite grasp

ClaytonN
03-19-2005, 01:42 AM
Namely, how a species of ape-man managed to produce the pigment and facial structure of:

Asians
Africans
Anglo-Saxons

So very different, and yet (I assume) some sort of common ancestor.

WillMagic
03-19-2005, 01:47 AM
Genetic mutations.

Will

Isura
03-19-2005, 01:47 AM
I would guess different climate conditions, and diets.

deacsoft
03-19-2005, 01:49 AM
We are all created in God's image.

TimM
03-19-2005, 01:59 AM
These are tiny differences, especially compared to evolving a new species.

Emmitt2222
03-19-2005, 02:05 AM
Evolution is a theory that is not entirely proven so there is a chance that it may not be true at all which most people overlook entirely because it is so commonly accepted. Thats not to say I don't believe it, but if it were ever shown to be untrue I wouldnt be shocked.

Popinjay
03-19-2005, 02:09 AM
Orangutangs are different colored monkeys.

James282
03-19-2005, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Namely, how a species of ape-man managed to produce the pigment and facial structure of:

Asians
Africans
Anglo-Saxons

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep trying, you can get it.
-James

Michael Davis
03-19-2005, 02:23 AM
What you're missing is that the Victorians and American slaveowners clearly demonstrated that non-Anglo groups aren't really humans.

-Michael

PassiveCaller
03-19-2005, 02:25 AM
What a cute way to say it eh?

jimdmcevoy
03-19-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So very different

[/ QUOTE ]

not really

ClaytonN
03-19-2005, 02:31 AM
For charity's sake I'll take into consideration your amazing digression.

Where did I say they were humans? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ClaytonN
03-19-2005, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
not really

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for your contribution

Michael Davis
03-19-2005, 02:33 AM
"For charity's sake I'll take into consideration your amazing digression."

I didn't think I was digressing.

-Michael

7ontheline
03-19-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
These are tiny differences, especially compared to evolving a new species.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do not understand why this is so, you do not have a grasp of the science behind genetics. These differences are extremely minor and easily explained if you understand anatomy.

Ianco15
03-19-2005, 02:43 AM
Each group evolved to their climate through small genetic mutations over thousands of generations. For example: The dark skin of africans helps protect them from strong surn exposure in africa. The fat pockets around the eyes of asians helps potect their eyes from the cold.

All the slight variations helped each race survive in their climates (natural selection).

deacsoft
03-19-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What a cute way to say it eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

7ontheline
03-19-2005, 03:13 AM
Yeah, imagine if the Irish were wandering around the Kalahari - they would all die of skin cancer by age 16.

Mayhap
03-19-2005, 03:21 AM
God was itchin' to see how affirmative action would play out.

/M

gamblore99
03-19-2005, 04:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Evolution is a theory that is not entirely proven so there is a chance that it may not be true at all which most people overlook entirely because it is so commonly accepted. Thats not to say I don't believe it, but if it were ever shown to be untrue I wouldnt be shocked.

[/ QUOTE ]

The probability of evolution not being correct is abot as likely as the probability that gravity is fake too.

slickpoppa
03-19-2005, 05:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Asians
Africans
Anglo-Saxons

[/ QUOTE ]

People from the South are dumb

3rdEye
03-19-2005, 05:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Asians
Africans
Anglo-Saxons

[/ QUOTE ]

The three groups of people in question obviously evolved under dramatically different environmental circumstances. That alone probably accounts for most of the observable physical differences.

fluxrad
03-19-2005, 05:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This represents a complete lack of understanding of the fundamentals of science. In this context, evolution could be considered a theory in the same fashion as relativity.

Here, the term is used not to indicate an unproven set of principles, but rather an unfinished set of principles. Case in point, we understand the fundamentals of microevolution and macroevolution. They are not simply hypotheses. We understand things like allele frequency and all kinds of other crap studied by guys like Mendel. More importantly, we see evolution every day.

Take viruses. Were evolution impossible there would be no need for a new flu vaccine every year because every year the flu virus would be the same. Or, why do you think that the public must be constantly reminded of the dangers of overusing antibiotics? It's because the more we use them, the more bacteria evolve to form new, more resistant strains. Microevolution is a fact. To deny that is to deny that the earth is spherical or that it revolves around the sun.

Now then, you may be speaking to macroevolution. However, in this case you'd also be wrong. Granted, we cannot explain the exact mechanisms of macroevolution, but that does not mean it does not happen. Now, to be honest, I have trouble explaining things like punctuated equilibrium and speciation, but this (http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-misconceptions.html) site does a wonderful job of it.

All that being said, I think it would be a safe bet to assume you're not talking about evolution at all, but rather abiogenesis (i.e. the creation of life from no life). That is a complete hypothesis and one that you're completely right to tear into. Did God create us from the primordial ooze or did we just happen? No one has any idea. Me? I believe it just happened...but I have absolutely no evidence whatsoever to help me with that one.

3rdEye
03-19-2005, 05:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We are all created in God's image.

[/ QUOTE ]

That, and/or He works in mysterious ways.

Anything to avoid a logical explanation.

[ASIDE: I have no idea whether the initial poster was sincere or joking.]

3rdEye
03-19-2005, 05:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The probability of evolution not being correct is abot as likely as the probability that gravity is fake too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes....we have a winner.

3rdEye
03-19-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, imagine if the Irish were wandering around the Kalahari - they would all die of skin cancer by age 16.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the ones who produced offspring who were less sensitive to UV rays in turn would in turn produce children who would live longer, who would in turn be more likely to reproduce, which in turn would increase the relative concentration of "anti-UV" genes, and so on...

BOTW
03-19-2005, 06:43 AM
cats? dogs?
[ QUOTE ]
Where did I say they were humans?

[/ QUOTE ]
On second thought
*** You are ignoring this user ***