PDA

View Full Version : AKK

nyc999
03-19-2005, 01:23 AM
New to Stud...

$10+$1 SNG level 2 8-handed

Dealt AKK rainbow, but other two K's also dealt, as is one ace. Bring-in and then two calls. What is the move -- call/raise/fold

Andy B
03-19-2005, 02:14 AM
If you think that by raising you can get almost all of the remaining players to fold, do so. If you think that almost everyone will call whether you raise or not, you are probably best off folding. If you're not sure, you might call and see what happens. (AK)K is a good hand, but this is not an especially good situation.

Michael Davis
03-19-2005, 02:25 AM
Shouldn't you at least call and see if you get the opportunity to thin the field on 4th street. As in, even if you are high try for a checkraise and hope the bet comes from your right?

Also, it matters if your opponents who are still in have the kings or ace up.

-Michael

beset7
03-19-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
New to Stud...

$10+$1 SNG level 2 8-handed

Dealt AKK rainbow, but other two K's also dealt, as is one ace. Bring-in and then two calls. What is the move -- call/raise/fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Level 2, nobody's been eliminated and your hand is totally dead? I'd fold on third. I'd say "if you can get it heads up then raise" but in a $10sng that early in the tourney most players are seeing 4th 60%+ hands that is highly unlikely.

Check out 7-card stud for advanced players by SMZ. It has a great section on evaluating your hand on 3rd street.

nyc999
03-19-2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks all.

Ended up folding. From what I had seen to that point, 4-5 players were sticking around to 6-7th street, and a pair was rarely winning. Additionally, raises weren't thinning the field at that point. Didn't think it was worth a good portion of my stack to risk it.

Andy B
03-19-2005, 08:27 PM
Well, maybe, but it seems to me that if the game is loose enough where most people are going to call a full bet on third, you're not going to loose enough of them by raising fourth street to make me like my hand. You're risking two bets for something that isn't going to work most of the time, in my estimation. Also, I have found low-limit stud players to be notoriously uncooperative when I try to check-raise. This hand isn't much better than the (J6)J (or whatever it is) example in 7CS4AP.

Yeah, if the limpers are the ones holding the big cards, that would make me a little more inclined to play if I thought I could thin the field.