PDA

View Full Version : AJ early

dfscott
03-19-2005, 12:14 AM
I normally fold AJ early, but considering I was getting such great odds from the SB (only 5 to complete in round 1), I felt obligated to play and hope for a great flop.

I felt like a blind man in this hand -- feeling my way around since I was out of position. Plus, this was not my normal 11 -- it was a 22 that I was taking a shot at.

Comments?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 (t800)
CO (t800)
Button (t800)
Hero (t800)
BB (t800)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t75) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets t35</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls t150, MP3 folds.

Turn: (t410) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, UTG+2 calls t200.

River: (t810) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 checks.

iMsoLucky0
03-19-2005, 12:48 AM
Completing in the SB is fine here I think. I like how you say you fold it early in general though.

As for the play of the hand, I think you should lead at the flop so you can more clearly define your position. However, it seems as though you had a winner here, so you probably played it okay.

curtains
03-19-2005, 01:18 AM
Calling preflop here is mandatory if you are trying to play well. I think you are playing poorly if you fold this from cutoff or button too, but that's another story.

On the flop....checking is fine, although I'd checkraise a tad less than you did, if that was my plan.

btw you probably have the caller beat, likely hand is some weak ace for him.

Mr_J
03-19-2005, 01:21 AM
I experienced the exact same hand at a $22 (AJ and similiar flop). I ran into A9 w/ 2p though.

morgan180
03-19-2005, 02:15 AM
Personally I don't like the turn bet. At a little less than half the pot you're going to get called by anyone that smooth called 150 on the flop.

I think in this instance on every street I'm thinking "Keep the pot small" and your two bets don't accomplish that. I agree with curtains though - playing the hand is right on, I think you just should try to keep the pot small.

Bigwig
03-19-2005, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I normally fold AJ early, but considering I was getting such great odds from the SB (only 5 to complete in round 1),

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you ever, and I mean ever, considering folding JT for the Party Level 1 SB, let alone AJ?

dfscott
03-19-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the flop....checking is fine, although I'd checkraise a tad less than you did, if that was my plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my problems is that I tend to overbet a bit too much, since everyone is so loose at the lower levels. I'm working on that.

[ QUOTE ]
btw you probably have the caller beat, likely hand is some weak ace for him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep - ATo

dfscott
03-19-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I normally fold AJ early, but considering I was getting such great odds from the SB (only 5 to complete in round 1),

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you ever, and I mean ever, considering folding JT for the Party Level 1 SB, let alone AJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heck, I fold AQo as well. I play very, very tightly early, per Aleo's guide. Are you saying that's not appropriate?

RobGW
03-19-2005, 12:46 PM
I think the guide gives a simplistic approach which is good for beginners. There are so many different situations that come up in poker its impossible to say what you should do everytime. AQ is such a hand. Completing the SB with AQ should be a no brainer. Cold calling a raise with AQ is a no no. Playing AQ in EP or in LP is a matter a preference. If you feel lost when you flop an A, then I think you are better off not playing it. BTW, I think you played it ok.

Bigwig
03-19-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heck, I fold AQo as well. I play very, very tightly early, per Aleo's guide. Are you saying that's not appropriate?

[/ QUOTE ]

If Aleo's guide recommends that you fold AQo in the SB to a bunch of limpers for something like 16:1 pot odds, then I say the guide sucks.