PDA

View Full Version : I've Got Some Tens In My Pocket

bobbyi
03-18-2005, 11:42 PM
PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (10 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, MP calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

River: (11 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Final Pot: 17 BB

Edit: decided not to include results

JrJordan
03-19-2005, 12:00 AM
I think the river raise is the worst of your three options. Double paired board with an overcall already, how often do you think you're ahead here? I'd be willing to call one bet getting 11:1 with some possibility that UTG's bet could be a bluff. However, folding here wouldn't be as awful as it seems at first. Raising is just bad here though. I don't think you're ahead 1/3 of the time and you'd have to fold to a 3 bet.

bobbyi
03-19-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you're ahead 1/3 of the time and you'd have to fold to a 3 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see why having to fold to a three-bet is a problem. I am never getting three-bet here by anthing I beat so this fold will never cost me the pot.

I don't think I'm against a boat here. MP has does nothing but call the whole way. It seems very unlikely that he is full. UTG check-called the turn and is now betting out the river. Very few people would play a queen or 77 this way. I don't see him being full unless he specifically has a four and some people wouldn't bet that on the flop or wouldn't call the flop raise and turn bet with it. I think I'm good a third of the time here.

maxpowers21
03-19-2005, 02:27 AM
UTG very likely has a 4 by the way he played this line. It's also possible for MP to have a 4, although much less likely. I would still just call the river bet. But the raise here isn't so bad if you actually can fold to a river 3bet, and i hate to fold any river bet in a big pot with a hand that has showdown value.

I don't like raising here because you can't assume you're best here over half the time when they call with a worse hand. If UTG is bluffing or MP has a weak hand, ace high, they most likely won't call a river raise anyways. I could assume a best case scenario where you get one caller with a worse hand where you pick up the pot here, although i suppose it's possible you won this hand here.

Michael Davis
03-19-2005, 02:49 AM
I'm also having a difficult time understanding the river raise.

-Michael

spider
03-19-2005, 09:27 AM
I'm not real worried about MP either, though he could have a 4.

But I think UTG could have a Q in a addition to a 4. If he is passive, he may just have been worried about you having a better kicker. Then the river makes the kicker irrelevant and he worries you will check behind. So yeah, I don't like the river raise either.

OTOH, UTG could also be going throught the same thought process with a crap ace, in which case raise may be OK if you can safely fold to the 3 bet.

Meh... I hate to give these long, wishy washy answers. Pretty easy to play with a read, could go either way w/ out good reads.