PDA

View Full Version : 99sb 'steal' defense

zeropotential
03-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Prima 2/4 (10 handed)

9/images/graemlins/heart.gif9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif in the sb. loose player utg limps then folded around to the button, an average to agressive player who seems to play well postflop, he raises. I re-raise and its headsup to the flop.

Flop (8.5sb): Q/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet, button raises, I fold.

Whats your take on the pf 3-bet... How about the quick release on the flop?

GrunchCan
03-18-2005, 09:53 PM
I realy don't like the 3-bet PF. If nobody had limped in - especially not an EP limper - and your read suggested that the button likes to steal, it might be ok. But in this case you are just taking a mid pair 3 bets to the flop OOP. I don't like it. Calling at all it really questionable, since there are so few people in the pot. In this spot, I might just fold the 99.

Given you bet the flop, you were getting around 12:1 to call the raise, so I think you needed to call it and see the turn. This flop, along with you feeling the need you needed to bet in to it, is a good reason why the PF 3-bet doesn't help you here. It just got you in to nastyness postflop. Unless you flop your set, you have no idea where you are at.