PDA

View Full Version : WSOP heartbreak

boudge7
03-18-2005, 08:40 PM
I play a lot of poker, live and online, single and multi table tournaments, and ring games, so I have a pretty good understanding of the game. I'm going to be in Vegas during the WSOP for my 21st birthday. I play at least one live tournament a week, and have had pretty good success(about 50 players). I want to play in one of the events, but I'm worried my fear of busting out would prevent me from playing up to my ability. My bankroll is nowhere near what it should be to support tournament buy-ins of $1000, but I see it as at least a learning experience, with the chance of a big payoff. It hurts to lose as a 80-20 favorite all-in before the flop, and I'm worried that if it happens when I'm stretching myself so thin (i.e. the WSOP) it could really hurt me mentally. Does anyone have experience with playing out of their limit for a tournament, and how it affected them mentally? I hope you understand what I'm asking, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

DemonDeac
03-18-2005, 08:58 PM
try and get in through a satellite so ur not putting $1000 up for the tourney. that should help, i think. and u seem experienced enough in smaller tourneys to win a satellite

Temp Hutter
03-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Playing above your bankroll will definitely have an affect on your play. I would advise against it. Other players if they are good will sense your timid play and exploit it. It is natural to tighten up in a game that is for more money than your normal game and consequently you will not be playing your best.

If you want to step up to a higher buy-in tournament do it through satellites. If you get a seat, forget about the money and just play your game.

Voltron87
03-18-2005, 10:40 PM
If you're worried about losing an 80-20 preflop race, you shouldn't be playing in that tournament. Period. Don't feel like you have to play the WSOP just because it's the WSOP. It sounds like you don't have the BR to play, so play some smaller events. You're only 21.

Myrtle
03-18-2005, 11:07 PM
Let me pass on some advice from the reigning World Champ.....

"Why should you ever worry about losing money while you're playing in a tournament? Once you've paid for the buy-in, your money is gone. All that's left is to make the best decisions that you can."

It's a simple state-of-mind 'flip', but if you can't manage it for whatever reason, don't buy-in.

maldini
03-19-2005, 05:56 AM
this game is not going anywhere. they've been playing it since the '60s. if you're 21ish, i can say with almost certainty that you are not as smart or as good as you think you are. not to say you arent smart or good at cards, but i suspect you dont even know what you dont know.

i would be willing to bet that the winning players at the WSOP spend alot of time preparing for the tourney. similar to golf pros. if you have bankroll issues definitely do not go. heck, even TJ is staked. if you're that good, get staked.

Dan Mezick
03-19-2005, 08:37 AM
Go in with the right attitude.

1. Decide you can actually afford this.
2. Then, just assume the money's gone as soon as you get your chips.

This way you can just play your best game, having already 'spent' or 'lost' this money the moment the chips were placed in your hand.

This is after all the reality.

If you walk into it concerned about the money or suckouts, with your tail between your legs and your ears back, that would be like going into the event with a KICK ME sign on your butt.

Just make up your mind the moment you get your chips that the money is gone, and what you actually have now is a 1-in-N shot at some serious cash.

And swing away.