PDA

View Full Version : Urinals

RocketManJames
03-18-2005, 07:40 PM
Urinals mostly come in two flavors... the ones that are mid-level and others that kind of go all the way down to the ground. The mid-level ones often come at different heights to fit different people better. The ones that go all the way down basically work for all.

Question is... does anyone actually prefer the mid-level urinals or understnad why they even exist?

Two main issues:

1) There is more splashback possibility.
2) Not a one-size fits all.

-RMJ

Duke
03-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Less material.

~D

fluxrad
03-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Using the ones that go all the way down to the ground make me feel like I'm peeing on the floor.

tolbiny
03-18-2005, 07:44 PM
the best urinals ever were at old municiple stadium in cleveland.

Long ceramic (i'm guessing) or metallic troughs 30 ft long. Standing shoulder to shoulder at half time with a dozen drunk (and angry cause hte browns sucked) football fans- good times.

eric5148
03-18-2005, 11:29 PM
Last time I was at Wrigley Field, 3 years ago, they still had those trough things. They're fucking nasty. I always end up standing next to some 8 year old who's very eager to compare sizes. Not to mention the constant mist throughout the room.

My dream is to have my own house with a urinal in the bathroom. For convenience, and the environment. Why waste so much water just to get rid of a half cup of piss?

Michael Davis
03-18-2005, 11:29 PM
This post should be titled "Evanals."

-Michael

pshreck
03-18-2005, 11:30 PM
So you guys dont wear diapers?

Much easier, trust me.

istewart
03-18-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Last time I was at Wrigley Field, 3 years ago, they still had those trough things. They're fucking nasty. I always end up standing next to some 8 year old who's very eager to compare sizes. Not to mention the constant mist throughout the room.

My dream is to have my own house with a urinal in the bathroom. For convenience, and the environment. Why waste so much water just to get rid of a half cup of piss?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stole the ballpark from my quote. Being in the Wrigley bathrooms is hell.

Brain
03-19-2005, 12:04 AM
I was just trying to think of that.

Evanal (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=cardroom&Number=1413604&Fo rum=All_Forums&Words=%2Bevanal&Searchpage=0&Limit= 25&Main=1409110&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=754 0&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&old ertype=&bodyprev=#Post1413604)

MarkL444
03-19-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Using the ones that go all the way down to the ground make me feel like I'm peeing on the floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

in a good way, right?

tolbiny
03-19-2005, 12:07 AM
"Why waste so much water just to get rid of a half cup of piss"

viksting a friend of my mother's last week, and they had a toilet with two buttons (no handle) to flush with. One used half as much water and was obviously for liquid waste.

plaster8
03-19-2005, 05:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My in-laws have a urinal (mid-level) in their main-floor bathroom.

The first time I ever visited (when I was still just dating their daughter) I was about to use it when I realized I didn't know if it worked or not.

"Uh, sir? Do you have a Dixie cup so I can get my piss out of your non-working urinal?"

What a great question to ask your future father-in-law. So I used the toilet instead and found out later that the urinal worked.

(Of course, I could have just flushed the damn thing to see if it worked, but for some reason I didn't think to do that.)

3rdEye
03-19-2005, 05:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Urinals mostly come in two flavors... the ones that are mid-level and others that kind of go all the way down to the ground. The mid-level ones often come at different heights to fit different people better. The ones that go all the way down basically work for all.

Question is... does anyone actually prefer the mid-level urinals or understnad why they even exist?

Two main issues:

1) There is more splashback possibility.
2) Not a one-size fits all.

-RMJ

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't answer your question, but, as a short guy, the lower the urinal, the better.

3rdEye
03-19-2005, 05:49 AM
This test answers all questions.

Urinal Test (http://www.drinknation.com/urinaltest.php)

mantasm
03-19-2005, 05:59 AM
It's even better when the troughs are filled with ice.

The Goober
03-19-2005, 06:52 AM
You're missing something painfully obvious here - the amount of splash is going to be proportional to the momentum (and the hence the speed) of the incoming piss. The farther the piss has to travel, the more time it has to accelerate. So, when you are pissing on the floor, you will necessarily get more splashback.

Also, to minimize splashback there is a "sweet spot" of where you want the piss to hit the back of the urinal so that the reflected spray goes down into the bowl, but does not hit the bottom directly (I think there was as thread on this, actually). With a higher urinal its much easier to hit this angle because the stream is more of a straight line and less of an arc. I've actually seen some urinals that have a target painted on them for this purpose - supposedly they've done studies and guys make less of a mess when they are given this target to aim for.

At the gym that I used to go to there was one normal height urinal and one low one (for kids or really short guys, I guess) - the low one was quickly dubbed "mr. splashy" (the effect is particularly obvious when you are using it barefoot)

disclaimer: I'm pretty tall (6'3" or so), so I've never had the experience of using a urinal that was too high for me.

Michael Davis
03-19-2005, 06:55 AM
You guys are wrong about trough bathrooms. Ever been to a big time sporting event with only stalls and urinals? It takes 20 minutes to take a piss. The trough system might be a little uncomfortable, but that's a small price to pay for getting out in two minutes.

Admittedly, it doesn't much matter in baseball even if a bunch of people are there. But for a football game or something, where everyone is trying to go at the same time, troughs rule.

-Michael