PDA

View Full Version : NL tourney player - 'when' & 'if' to read limit books?

pastabatman
03-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Hi All,
Now that I've read HOH, TOP, and POP, not sure what book sequence to read going forward. I currently play almost exclusively online, 1-table NL $10+1 SNGs (profitably), but my long-term goal is to be the best all-around NL tourney player I can be.

My main dilemma is where to fit in the limit books (SSH, HPFAP, MLHP) in my education. I know they're not directly applicable, but get the impression from others here that there's a lot to be gained in hand-reading and other things. When reading them, I might even return to limit ring games (ugh), just to test my comprehension.

So, here's my list, in the order I might read them. Any advice is appreciated. (Oh, and before someone offers the 'just re-read this or that' advice, assume that will be occurring. Already planning to re-read HOH 1 soon. And, of course, HOH 2 will shoot to top of list when it comes out).

1. Tournament Poker For Advanced Players
2. Inside The Poker Mind
3. Improve Your Poker
4. Real Poker II
5. Pot Limit & No Limit Hold 'Em (read part way once - wasn't ready for it)
6. Small Stakes Hold 'em
7. Middle Limit Hold'em Poker
8. Hold 'em Poker For Advanced Players
9. Caro's Book of Tells (i don't play live much yet)

betgo
03-18-2005, 07:30 PM
Either limit holdem section in SSI or SSII by Baldwin or Harmon are good for discussing principles that apply also to no limit. Some of the discussion of textures of flops in SSHE applies to no limit. HFAP is not really useful except for fairly high stakes limit games. However, you should memorize Sklanky's hand rankings, even though they don't apply as directly to no limit.

There are some other decent no limit /pot limit books you haven't mentioned. Reuben's "How Good is Your Pot Limit Holdem" is one. Brunson's no limit section in SS is a classic geared to cash games. Cloutier and McEvoy's "Tournament Poker Practice Hands" is useful, but I wouldn't recommend their book on no-limit/pot-limit tournment poker or McEvoy's "Tournament Poker" book. Also McEvoy and Daugherty's "No Limit Holdem" and their book on satellites are good material at a fairly elementary level. The Cloutier/McEvoy/Daugherty material is not as good as Harrington's, but it is worth reading if you are serious about no limit tournaments.

pastabatman
03-18-2005, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback.
[ QUOTE ]
HFAP is not really useful except for fairly high stakes limit games. However, you should memorize Sklanky's hand rankings, even though they don't apply as directly to no limit.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I was going to get it at least for the hand rankings, since they're so widely referenced.

[ QUOTE ]
Reuben's "How Good is Your Pot Limit Holdem" is one.

[/ QUOTE ] Forgot about that one. I'll probably read it same time as PL&NL.

[ QUOTE ]
Brunson's no limit section in SS is a classic geared to cash games.

[/ QUOTE ] I guess I'll get around to reading that some day. It's taken a lot of heat lately, but I'm sure there's some value there.

I read McEvoy & Daugherty's 'No Limit Hold 'em early on - great intro, but can't imagine returning to it. I don't really have a great impression of the other McEvoy books (with Daugherty & Cloutier), but may reconsider.

So, still not sure where to put SSH, MLHE, and HPFAP in my sequence.