PDA

View Full Version : A No Limit preflop question

Alexthegreat
03-18-2005, 06:52 PM
Hey you guys...

I've played a lot of NL tournaments and some cash games, but not high stakes, and mostly home games, where no one knows anything about anything....

I'm getting a little bored with limit poker, and I have built a decent enough bankroll to start playing some higher stakes NL..(3/6, 500 max buyin)..I don't plan on playing that often, but I'd like to add a good NL game on top of limit...

I have a pretty good idea of postflop NL play I think, because of the tourney experience.....I also think that I have a good idea of starting hand selection....

My first, quick question is regarding opening at a NL game....Is it standard to raise say, 3 or 4x the BB with most opening hands?? Is it game dependant?? I'm assuming you should mix it up with your raises, but is it ridiculous to open sometimes for like, 8x the BB??

I'm not sure if these are standard questions with easy answers or what, but I'd appreciate any input, as well as any book recommendations...

fsuplayer
03-18-2005, 07:05 PM
ciaffone and reuban have a v. good book on NL poker out. buy it soon.

as far as pf is concerned, 3BB plus 1BB for every limper is usually a good rule of thumb. i raise more than that from the blinds, and in LAGish games where people are calling way too much, but that is a good place to start.