PDA

View Full Version : NL and books for limit?

aszmel
03-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Hi all

maybe this question seems to be stupid, but if I considering only to play NL (small stakes now, but in the future... who knows?) - is reading such a books like a Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players can in any manner 'harm' my 'set of skills' I possess now (nevermind what kind of) while playing NL only, because I heard it's main purpose is for limit (advanced) hold'em? Do players who want to sharpen their skill in NL should avoid reading books on limit? Just curious because got HPfAP and Lee Jone's books, so read them or not? I know it's good to read everything, but if I starting playing poker and want to play NL only, can I manage to distinguish the knowlege useful for NL and only for limit?

Tim H
03-18-2005, 06:20 PM
my favorite re-read is super system

can't wait for SS2 to arrive at my door

Bongo
03-19-2005, 12:22 AM
I don't think that books on limit poker will harm you. I do think that you should start with limit poker before taking on no limit. Limit hold'em will build the basic understanding of the game and then when you move on to no limit. For limit poker you already have the best book for beginners, "winning low limit hold'em". After that one I recomend "middle limit holdem" by Bob Ciaffone (probably the best book written on limit hold'em). "Internet texas hold'em" by M. Hilger is also a very good book. HPFAP is not that great, but you should read it just so you can say that you've read it. Super system is fun reading. I really liked it, but I'm NOT going to try to imitate Brunsons style of no limit. It will not work at low limits that's for sure. You're opponents have to have stacks much larger than 100 BB (much much larger). Get Bob Ciaffone's "big bet poker" and TJ Cloutiers book " championship something..." they are better although not great.

tbach24
03-19-2005, 12:25 AM
Read ToP and C/R on PL and NL. Also, read Super System's section on NL. Honestly though, I read all of those (except for C/R) and still sucked at poker until I joined the forums. They will do you so much better. But still, ToP is a must-read.

bort411
03-19-2005, 12:36 AM
Your actual question sort of seems to answer itself. Your going to be a BEGINNER no limit player and you're asking about a book for ADVANCED limit players. If you don't know much about poker, it's difficult to do what you're asking. That is, to figure out what concepts you should apply to no limit and those you should disregard.

I agree with Tbach's suggestions for NL reading, though I too have learned more from the forums I think.

aszmel
03-19-2005, 05:25 AM
thanks for response, I asked about limit books 'cos I got them in that time, that's the reason, generally I know what books are for no-limit, I just wanted to know if there's sth wrong in reading 'limit' books - I'm not a total beginner - read MANY articles on the net, TJ-championship..., played many in play money, now in micro-stakes on real money, building my bankroll now to move-up, just wanted to know from more experienced (who play longer) if there was sth wrong when they read books on 'limit' while playing no-limit, if there were some concept that didn't work well, just curious if that was the case, anyway, thx for responce

poboy
03-19-2005, 04:17 PM
You can't be serious, you believe Lee Jones' is the best book for low-stakes limit? Maybe if you want to be a break even poker player. Try Ed Millers book if you actually want to win. HPFAP is not that great? Maybe not for someone just starting out, but it is definitely one you should read after learning the basics.
To the original poster, you should read as much as you can. Knowledge is never harmful, some is better than others but it's all good. You should immediately get a copy of TOP, the best book on poker in general IMO. As tbach said though , you will learn the most from these forums. JMO

-Skeme-
03-19-2005, 04:18 PM
PL & NL Poker by Ciaffone & Reuben is the best.

BobboFitos
03-19-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly though, I read all of those (except for C/R) and still sucked at poker until I joined the forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

UNTIL?

:P

poboy
03-19-2005, 04:36 PM
For small stakes NLPL I would have to agree, but only because there has been so little written on the subject. I was actually kind of dissapointed with this book, didn't help I had to wait a month before Border's shipped it to me. I was expecting alot more, people had described it as the "Bible" for NL. To me it's not even close to being a "Bible", more like a quick summary. Not enough info on HE(around 30 pages) for me, and I have no desire to learn omaha,stud,or lowball games. Doyle's book has alot more information, unfortunately alot of it isn't relevant to small stakes. I live for the day that 2+2 puts out a book on SSNL, until then C&R is unfortunately about the best you can do. JMO

aszmel
03-20-2005, 12:04 PM
I think the same about C/R - heard many good about, but it's describing games I won't be participating for a long time (IMHO); also awaiting for that SSNL new book, hope it'll be good and full of many examples and thinking process of a pro-player while playing hands;
BTW, knew about this forum for a long time, but appreciated it truly when started playing for real, really good posts which gave me lots of new thinking and re-thinking about my table decisions