PDA

View Full Version : Verify this for me

MrWizard
03-18-2005, 06:03 PM
I've been reading sshe for a while and want to make sure of something. It says you shouldn't be cold calling, and I'm not. But then on the charts with the loose and tight play it says play against a raise with certain hands. That is to assume that you called the blind and it was raised after right? Not cold-call and play a raise right? thats how i interpreted it (don't cold call just call if you're already involved) but i need clarification. anyway the book is great, i'm doing well online and am on my second read.

Stacheman
03-18-2005, 06:47 PM
It doesn't say don't ever cold call, but that you should cold call very infrequently and with a small range of hands. I don't have the book in front of me, but I seem to remember the range being JJ-88 and AKo and AQs-AJs. That might be slightly off, but there definitely are times when cold calling is the right play. Number of people in the pot already also comes into consideration.

crunchy1
03-18-2005, 07:01 PM
Cold-calling refers to calling a single or multiple raise(s) as your first action in the hand.

The charts in SSH list hands you can play in that particular position. There are several categories:
A. If there is no raise
1. Play
2. Raise

B. Against a Raise
1. Play
2. Reraise

C. Against a Raise and a Reraise
1. Play
2. Reraise

Categories B and C refer to hands you can "cold-call" or reraise with. In category B someone has raised and you can now call 2 bets with B1 hands and reraise with B2 hands. In category C someone has raised and another person has reraised. It's now 3-bets to you and you can call 3 bets with C1 hands and you can cap (4-bet) with C2 hands.

Hope that clears it up.

MrWizard
03-18-2005, 07:16 PM
It seems i had been misunderstanding the cold-call concept quite badly! thanks for clearing it up. I was under the impression that i should be folding far more often than correct. After reading and rereading I see that cold calling is just calling, and NOT RAISING. I thought that cold calling was calling a raise or reraising a raise. You can see how this misinterpretation has been costing me mucho bucks. I was folding plenty of hands that i should have been raising with. thanks so much!