PDA

View Full Version : If you had to get one...

jpg7n16
03-18-2005, 05:01 PM
I am going to get another book... I don't have much start up money at all, but I love to read. But I want to improve my playing as much as possible so I'm getting one book... I just want some input on which to buy first if that's all I can get is one:

Gambling Theory and Other Topics
Getting the Best of it
Small Stakes HE
Harrington On HE

I want something in depth and I don't mind hard reading. Which one of these should I start with to get me on the road to having enough money for all of them?? (Eventually I will get them all... I just can get one right now)

If this helps: I normally play .5/1 or 1/2 NLHE

KenProspero
03-18-2005, 05:06 PM
SSHE and HoH are both excellent books.

Which to recommend? Well, I suppose that depends on whether you want to play limit ring games with a lot of loose players (Small Stakes Hold Em) or no-limit tournaments -- emphasis on multi-table, but with lots on single table (Harrington on Hold em, Vol 1).

Any more is really comparing apples and oranges

Stuey
03-18-2005, 06:37 PM
Get SSHE.

There is zero chance you will regret it. All the other books are great and be sure to get them later. But SSH is as good as everyone says.

theRealMacoy
03-19-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Get SSHE.

There is zero chance you will regret it. All the other books are great and be sure to get them later. But SSH is as good as everyone says.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to agree, even though you are a NL player. SSHE is excellent. I am still working my way through HOH and it is premium quality as well.

cheers,
RM

splashpot
03-19-2005, 12:28 AM
If I had to choose one poker book to read for the rest of my life it would be "The Theory of Poker"

deacsoft
03-19-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I had to choose one poker book to read for the rest of my life it would be "The Theory of Poker"

[/ QUOTE ]

...and BINGO was his name, ohhhh!

Hold'me
03-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Harrington on Hold'em. Hands down. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

craftyandsly
03-21-2005, 10:23 AM
FWIW, I enjoyed them all ...

Harrington on Hold'em is my latest investment, and I cannot wait for his second volume (I believe due in May).

Craftyandsly