PDA

View Full Version : OMAHA PL..help please

10-05-2002, 07:03 AM
Is there a rule of thumb or a fast way to figure the number of Wins for straights in Omaha that someone can help me with? I find them confusing, ie what's a True wrap, # of wins, how to recognize the Wins in the heat of battle, etc.

Would REALLY appreciate some help. I have most poker books but there is no quick referance to straight hands (Omaha), draws vs. the Board in any of them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Guy McSucker
10-05-2002, 07:11 AM
A real wrap is a 13-out or better straight draw, e.g. you hold 578 and there's 4-6 on board, so any 3, 5, 7 or 8 gives you a straight.

The best way to learn to recognise your outs is to practice! (I should do some of that - I had to edit this post because I put a 17 out example masquerading as a 13 out example. Oops.)

As for books, Ciaffone's "Omaha Hold'em Poker", Reuben & Ciaffone's "PL & NL Poker", and Reuben's "Starting out in poker" all cover Omaha and are all marvellous.

Guy.

10-06-2002, 12:40 AM
One quick way in the heat of battle is to look at the number of cards that will combine with the board and your hand to make the straight. For Example you hold 9, 10 and J,Q is out on the board. You then have a straight if a 8 or a K hit the board. 8 outs in other words 4 of each of the 8 and the K. However, in calculating the straight you must be careful of the nature of the board I.E. Suites in other words if the board has 2 diamonds then you are effectively reduced to 6 outs in that the straight card will create a flush that will beat you. Hope this post helps. I would greatly suggest doing some reading on Omaha Bob Ciaffone is an excellent author on the subject, and combine this with dealing yourself some practice hands. <font color="green"> </font color>

10-07-2002, 06:38 PM
I want to thank you for your input, it's greatly appreciated.

Jules