PDA

View Full Version : nursing homes poker tournaments - get involved

nvflag
03-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Hello my name is Steve D. I am by profession the Director of Sales and Operations for a large ISP Telecommunications firm. I am also an avid recreational poker player that appreciates the many positives aspects of poker besides just making extra money.

I have started and run NON CASH poker tournaments on Saturdays in local Senior Citzens Nursing Homes in the Northern Virginia area. I (as well as my wife and kids) volunteer our time, bring the poker chips and help teach the Senior Citizens in the Nursing Homes how to play Texas Holdem (if they do not know) as well as then run a 2 to 3 hour limit tournament for them to play.

You can begin to believe the joy that these lonely Senior Citizens have playing Poker. Besides the fun and social aspect - it also helps them with their mental thinking and keeps them sharp. This is simply taking off like you would not believe in interest.

Why this post... well, can you imagine if more Poker people would get involved in this "community service" type of program. We could have Nursing Homes around the country running non cash poker tournaments - helping Seniors from the boredom of nursing home life. Many who honestly will tell you they were just waiting to die in the home. Poker has and can make anyone young again. They simply cannot wait until the next tournament and spend the time in between playing against each other and sharpening their skills (and mental capabilities in the process).

Please if ANYONE is interested in starting something like this up in their community - please email me at nvflag@sprynet.com . This could really take off.