PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy baseball: Last minute keeper advice

Benholio
03-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Head-to-head league, auction format. 12 teams, mixed.

Oliver Perez $11
Josh Beckett $12

I had already chosen Perez a month ago, but today is the deadline to finalize the decision. Beckett has looked great this spring, and Perez has started slowly due to some stiffness at the beginning of spring training.

Perez seems to be completely over the injury, but now I am wondering who might be the better choice. Lots of people are picking Florida to win the NL East, meaning Beckett will likely have a lot more W opportunities.

Any of you gurus think I should change my mind and keep Beckett?

Thanks!

jesusarenque
03-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Florida will not win the NL East, but the Marlins will be a lot better than the Pirates.

bugstud
03-18-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Head-to-head league, auction format. 12 teams, mixed.

Oliver Perez $11
Josh Beckett $12

I had already chosen Perez a month ago, but today is the deadline to finalize the decision. Beckett has looked great this spring, and Perez has started slowly due to some stiffness at the beginning of spring training.

Perez seems to be completely over the injury, but now I am wondering who might be the better choice. Lots of people are picking Florida to win the NL East, meaning Beckett will likely have a lot more W opportunities.

Any of you gurus think I should change my mind and keep Beckett?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I think there is a lot less injury risk with beckett, a lot less IP because of the blisters.

Beckett should be more wins too...

MEbenhoe
03-18-2005, 04:32 PM
beckett

nolanfan34
03-18-2005, 06:04 PM
Honestly? You're rolling the dice with either one, and there's no way to know which one will remain healthy all season. Perez will put up the better stats, but Beckett's injuries are less of a concern than shoulder tightness for Perez.

The other part of the equation is how much the player will go for in your auction. I think Perez is ranked higher in most places, and might cost more to reaquire, so maybe factor that into your decision too.

I guess I'm saying there's really nothing that would sway me either way on them, except gut feeling, and I like Beckett this year.

Benholio
03-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I think I will try to keep Perez, and draft Beckett in the auction. The only thing that scares me is that we have a new team coming in this year, but they only joined on the condition that they can choose their 4 keepers from all existing rosters. Hate to see either one of these guys kept by the new team so I don't get to re-draft them in the auction.

I guess my other option is to keep both, and lose Aramis Ramirez ($6) since 3b is so deep, but $6 just seems like too good of a deal.

(note: other 2 keeper are Beltran $25 and Vic Martinez $6)

Ah.. guess I'll keep flip-flopping until 11:55 and make a decision.

nolanfan34
03-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Yeah, you have to keep those other guys at the salaries they are at. Those are good deals.

bugstud
03-18-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you have to keep those other guys at the salaries they are at. Those are good deals.

[/ QUOTE ]

even me being not high on vic at all...still good deals

are there rules on how long players can be kept or any price increases or anything?

Benholio
03-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Players can be kept up to 4 years, but their salary goes up $5 each year if kept.

So last year I had Martinez and Ramirez for $1 a piece, etc.

Martinez was the #1 overall catcher in our league last year (points based league, not roto), so I'm pretty happy keeping him. I wouldn't have kept him for much more, though, because I hate paying anything for catchers. A few guys in our league invariably pay $20 or more for Javy and Pudge and Piazza every year though.

Paluka
03-18-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Players can be kept up to 4 years, but their salary goes up $5 each year if kept.

Martinez was the #1 overall catcher in our league last year (points based league, not roto), so I'm pretty happy keeping him. I wouldn't have kept him for much more, though, because I hate paying anything for catchers. A few guys in our league invariably pay $20 or more for Javy and Pudge and Piazza every year though.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you get Aramis Ramirez last year for $1?

radek2166
03-18-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No [censored]

bugstud
03-18-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. wooooow.

with this in mind I keep beckett. I think he may have profit at 17 next year, but perez won't.

Benholio
03-19-2005, 12:05 AM
Heh.. Heh.. I was suprised too. The only guy that expressed any interest in A-Ram at all just said "oh, Aramis?" when he got out of the bathroom. I was hoping to get him cheap and had my eyes on him the whole draft, but didn't expect to get him for $1 lol.

I've got 45 mintues to decide now between Beckett and Perez, and I'm still on the fence.

Perez had such good numbers last year, but that was his first full season, so he didn't play in the winter etc. He's only pitched 1 inning this spring, though he is SUPPOSEDLY healthy, but he hasn't pitched since last Friday. He's fine but a full week between outings?

Beckett, on the other hand, has been lights out in all 3 outings this spring.

I just know I'll keep Perez, he will be an injury case all year, and Beckett's spring numbers will drive him up in the auction. Hmm...

bugstud
03-19-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Heh.. Heh.. I was suprised too. The only guy that expressed any interest in A-Ram at all just said "oh, Aramis?" when he got out of the bathroom. I was hoping to get him cheap and had my eyes on him the whole draft, but didn't expect to get him for $1 lol.

I've got 45 mintues to decide now between Beckett and Perez, and I'm still on the fence.

Perez had such good numbers last year, but that was his first full season, so he didn't play in the winter etc. He's only pitched 1 inning this spring, though he is SUPPOSEDLY healthy, but he hasn't pitched since last Friday. He's fine but a full week between outings?

Beckett, on the other hand, has been lights out in all 3 outings this spring.

I just know I'll keep Perez, he will be an injury case all year, and Beckett's spring numbers will drive him up in the auction. Hmm...

[/ QUOTE ]

keep beckett and talk about how you didn't keep perez because of the injury...then try to get him cheap