PDA

View Full Version : stop and go with weak aces

gumpzilla
03-18-2005, 03:38 PM
So here's the flavor of a situation I encountered a little while ago. Stack sizes are approximate.

$20 NL SnG, Paradise, blinds are 100/200. Six handed.
Relevant players: CO, 800 chips, Hero in SB with 900 chips
after posting, BB with 1800 chips.

Hero picks up A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Folds to CO, who
limps, button folds, I complete in SB, BB checks.

Flop comes rags with two diamonds, which makes my decision to push for the 600 in the pot substantially easier. But I'd been thinking I was probably going to push on any kind of raggy board.

Small pocket pairs seem to be a popular choice for the stop and go, but it occurred to me after this play that perhaps weak aces - I'm thinking A2-A5 here - work really well with this as well, particularly from the SB. I'm curious what other people think about this.

Benholio
03-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Heads-up, maybe, but I dunno about using this move multi-way. There is a decent chance one of your opponents flopped a pair, and it doesn't take much to get called at this stage.

ZebraAss
03-18-2005, 09:16 PM
I like it. I do not think you will get called if BB has 5 10 top pair. Dont over estimate CO's hand just because he limped.

-Zebra

adanthar
03-18-2005, 11:10 PM
With stop and goes, a lot depends on the flop texture. A raggedy board is OK, a board of KQ9 isn't, etc. I actually prefer a flop of something like Q64 - if he has a Q, oh well, but it discourages 77 from calling.

None of it is very bad, though, as long as you always take the flop texture and your circumstances into account (eg, if it's a terrible flop you still have some FE next time.)