PDA

View Full Version : Stud 8/b 4th Street %

BigRedAce
03-18-2005, 03:26 PM
I didn't want to tack this on the regular 7 stud 4th street because I think the answers will be different.

After reading through Zee's and especially Todd Brunson's (SS2 chapter) Stud 8B I recognized some holes in my play, especially with regards to starting hands. I have tightened up considerably but still see around a 40% 4th street percentage. Bear in mind, the games I play are fairly low bring in and ante:

- B&M game is $4/$8 scoop with a $1 ante/bring-in
- Online I play .5/1 or 1/2 with similar ante/bring-in ratios

The reason I bring up the bring-in is because many times I will call a bring-in with what I would consider a second/third tier hand (can't scoop, maybe A-2 suited with a K offsuit). I call because the bring-in is low and if I don't get better on 4th I toss it.

Am I playing to loose? I tend to make money (more on-line than B&M).

JRegs
03-18-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have tightened up considerably but still see around a 40% 4th street percentage. Bear in mind, the games I play are fairly low bring in and ante:

- B&M game is $4/$8 scoop with a $1 ante/bring-in
- Online I play .5/1 or 1/2 with similar ante/bring-in ratios

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know which way you're going with this - but keep in mind that with a low ante, you want to play tighter than you would with a medium/high ante. 40% seems way too high, but I'm not an expert by any means.

Andy B
03-18-2005, 05:47 PM
I think I usually see fourth street about 20% of the time, but my usual game is pretty aggressive. I don't often get to bring it in for the minimum and then see fourth street for free, for example. Forty percent is definitely too high. Seems to me that Bill Murphy has expressed a weakness for A/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif and the like. It's crap. Ray Zee has fifteen hand categories in his book, several of which are almost always unplayable. This one doesn't make the list, although it's probably category 16 if that makes you feel better about it.