PDA

View Full Version : bluffs, good and bad

fathertime
03-18-2005, 03:07 PM
A while back one of the mid-high folks mentioned bluffs that have a 90% success rate. I should have asked him to elaborate but did not. And so I thought it could be profitable to read some posts of bluffs that folks have a high rate of success with as well as posts that make clear why a bluff is bad and easy to pick off.

1. A bluff that I have had good success with is one against an overly aggressive and thinking lag. I'll play him weak tight with marginal hands (check/call). But with my good hands and bluffs I'll bet out or I'll check raise in heads-up situations.

2. Another successful one I use on occassion is the check call the flop and check raise the turn. I'll do this against a lag or a weak tight I don't put on aa or kk.

xorbie
03-18-2005, 05:15 PM
CR the flop against the button if he is the first to bet. If you see the button taking down a lot of pots like this, you will see this work often (though only maybe once or twice a session). It's also great for the metagame, because it makes them less likely to bet out with marginal (or no) holdings. Unless of course thats you want.

xorbie
03-18-2005, 05:22 PM
I was meaning to add this as part of my other post but hit enter too early. The best place to bluff against straight forward opponents is on the button, of course. If it gets checked to me on the button, I bet regardless, unless people are starting to CR me (which they should do). When people call it makes it clear they have draws/marginal hands or are slowplaying a monster. If they check the turn again, I will usually check behind unimproved (this really depends on the board though), but I will always drop a bet on the river if checked too, because it's so easy to push people off marginal hands.

swolfe
03-18-2005, 06:22 PM
i think i check-raise bluffed ryanghall two or three times yesterday. you don't have to steal my blinds everytime it's folded to you on the button! /images/graemlins/grin.gif