PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on short-handed 8/b play?

highfidelity
03-18-2005, 01:58 PM
I have to admit I have very little clue as to how I should adjust starting hand values in short-handed hi/low. Do you play more as you would in regular high stud? I was dealt QJT and was first to act after the bring-in and had no idea what to do with it so I just dumped it. I'm feel like I'm missing some solid oppurtunities because I usually just end up leaving the game if it gets under five people. So any thoughts, guidelines, etc would be greatly appreciated so I can stop being such a wuss.

Hauser_III
03-18-2005, 02:48 PM
I play hi-lo SNG's all the time, so much of the play ends up being short-handed. While it is more like regular stud with 4 or fewer people, because high hands will have more value, strong low boards also pick up value. My short-handed playing involves a lot of bets that represent hands based on my board and, more importantly, based on what the other boards are showing, and I'm not as actually concerned about what my hole cards are. Pay more attention to steal opportunities, like raising the bring-in if you have a good high upcard compared to the other boards, or like betting on fourth if you have a little card and an A hits you, and the other hands either brick or hit some mediocre low draw like a 48 or 27 unsuited.

Andy B
03-18-2005, 03:06 PM
The key for me is to make sure that one or two players are so bad that they compensate for the fact that I don't know what the hell I'm doing.