PDA

View Full Version : Call Here?

Insomnia
03-18-2005, 01:57 PM
3 Players left in a small 7 player tourney. Blinds 40-80.
Payout is 3rd and 2nd get there buyins back, and first takes the profit.
I have 4000 chips, person behind me has 1800 and small stack has 1300. I am a tight/agressive player, Button is very loose and aggressive, and short stack is tight/ agressive.
Im dealt AQo in the big blind, Button goes all in and SB folds. I have been playing witht he button for a long time and know he will push anythign from low PP, weak aces, and even junk trying to pick up blinds.
Should i call this trying to gain a huge chip lead to glide into 1st, or wait for a better spot to get my money in?

hurlyburly
03-18-2005, 02:02 PM
That's a great spot to call. Stupidly high overbet. Hopefully you are dominating a weaker ace, but you aren't in any real danger even if you lose, as he'll be less likely to steal from you in the future.

Insomnia
03-18-2005, 02:15 PM
How would this call be if i had less chips compared to him?
Say 3000 to his 2000?

jah0550
03-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Since 2nd and 3rd pay the same, why not call? Even if he had 6000 chips, I'd stil call. You have AQ in a 3 handed game. I call this 99/100 times.

Scuba Chuck
03-18-2005, 02:34 PM
I thought you said you were a tight aggressive player?

AQo is the 14th best starting hand.

How much longer would you wait for a better starting hand here? Based on the calling range of 22+, Ax, and any two broadway cards, you're a 60% favorite. Frankly, you're only worried about 4 hands here, QQ+ and AK. If I remove those 4 hands from the range, you're now a 63% favorite. With your chip lead, the payout structure, you're read on the guy, this is a wet dream.

Insomnia
03-18-2005, 02:56 PM
K thanks guys.
In the game i did call and he flipped over KT and took the pot. i questoined my play wondering if i should of just waited to see a flop and try to bust him if he bluffed all in(which he does alot).

ColdestCall
03-18-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
K thanks guys.
In the game i did call and he flipped over KT and took the pot. i questoined my play wondering if i should of just waited to see a flop and try to bust him if he bluffed all in(which he does alot).

[/ QUOTE ]

He had KTo. You had AQo. You had him covered in chips by more than 2 to 1. 3 players. Only 1st really pays in this tourny. He moves in. You have a read (which you don't even really need) so you call, correctly, and lose.

You played the hand very well - don't get into the bad habit of questioning your good plays when they don't work out, otherwise you will cripple yourself at the table and start playing bad.