PDA

View Full Version : Flopped flush, help please

PktAcesSoWht
03-18-2005, 01:30 PM
I would really appreciate any thoughts on the play of this hand. Thank you very much. I ended up winning this tournament but this hand bothered me.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Hero (t1740)
UTG (t2720)
MP1 (t1940)
MP2 (t425)
CO (t3680)
Button (t1340)
SB (t1655)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t200</font>, Button calls t200, SB calls t150, Hero calls t100.

Flop: (t800) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t600</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1700

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. CO wins t1700. </font>

StogeyMike
03-18-2005, 01:49 PM
You might have played this a little timidly. CO has the bully stack and might just be trying to push you around with a reasonable pair or a nut flush draw (AsKx or something like that). I really don't put him on a bigger flush than you.

I would probably re-raise all in at this point, and if I'm beat, well then I'm just beat. However, even though I think I'm ahead here I'm still happy if he folds...

hurlyburly
03-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Ouch, I think you were ahead here often enough to come back over the top.

Being that CO was the preflop raiser, you know he already likes his hand and is protecting it here.

A minreraise from a PF caller would have me thinking, but from the CO I'm putting him on a set or overpair, maybe holding one higher spade. I think he was testing you or he would have pushed himself.

fnord_too
03-18-2005, 02:00 PM
You really need to push here. You are ahead way more than you are behind. You may be up against someone with outs (like AA with the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif), but you have way the best of it here.

Msogard
03-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Push when you're re-raised. He most likely has an overpair with a big spade, and is drawing to 7 outs. I'd bet more than 300 on the flop and call an all-in. In fact, going all-in on this flop isn't a bad move with 800 in the pot and only 1500 left in your stack.

MrLob
03-18-2005, 03:45 PM
First of all, congrats on winning the tourney. I think this fold was very poor. You called preflop in hope of this type of situation. What could be better than flopping a flush and having someone ready to give you action. Need to push here IMO. If your beat your beat on a flopped flush.

03-18-2005, 03:50 PM
If you're not going to get all in on this flop, you should be folding this hand preflop. I'm never folding a flush on the flop in an online tournament like this, the money is just not deep enough. I need to bet, get raised, re-raise, and then get re-raised in order to believe I'm beat here.

Gavin

PktAcesSoWht
03-18-2005, 08:36 PM
Thank you all very much. I am a conservative player, and I had many of those same thoughts, like why did I play the hand if I am going to fold it.

I appreciate all your comments very much. I have been trying to be more aggressive with my play and have found it to be paying off quite a bit.

I was worried about a fourth flush card coming and him having an over card here and that is why I folded.

I understand and agree with your analysis and will put it into my data bank so hopefully I play this better next time. I though I misplayed it and that is why I posted it here.

THanks again.

Roman
03-18-2005, 08:40 PM
no way I ever fold this flop...

Frank Zappy
03-18-2005, 09:06 PM
You folded? Is that a typo? Why would you fold that hand?

I would have reraised, probably all-in.

Soul Daddy
03-18-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was worried about a fourth flush card coming and him having an over card here and that is why I folded.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not trying to be a smartass, but when do you get your money in, if not here? You want him to have the over card spade and call you.

PktAcesSoWht
03-19-2005, 02:20 AM
No. it is no typo. I folded because he came over the top and I figured I was probably beat. I have a philosophy of try not to risk everything on one hand if I don't have to.

I know that that flies in the face of a lot people's attitudes, but I find I win a lot of single game tournaments this way.

I implore Sklansky's advice of don't risk everything today on a so-so bet, when there might be a better bet to come tomorrow as it were. I had a lot of chips to play with so this hand was not going to make or break me.

I understand the reasoning of everyone's comments, and I will play this hand differently in the future, that is for sure. That is why I asked for some help. I have a calculating conservative mindset that sometimes prevents me from making some plays. I have been working on being much more aggressive with my post flop play, and that has worked out very well for me.

As I said earlier, this guy got this pot, but I got all his money and everyone elses later. I didn't not see the need for an all-in, but I think that I should have come back over the top of this guy.

If I come over the top of him and say and he calls, isn't it more likely that he has two flush cards and one of them higher than my T9?

skoal2k4
03-19-2005, 02:30 AM
why call the raise if you're just gonna lay down a flopped flush? What were you hoping to get here?

Me personally... I re-raise and try to double up.

thoughts?

LethalRose
03-19-2005, 02:33 AM
Insta push, dont even have to think about it.

Wrong forum...btw

I have never seen a flush over flush, its rarer than a set over a set. I've only been playing a year though..and have only gotten one royal flush.

Most likely you're up against an overplayed JJ+, doesnt even have to have a spade here..the only hand i can see is AK of spades, if you push and he has this, then you should be secure with your playing knowing it is +EV. (pushing is +EV...right?)

I often times will bet hard at a flop like this if i have an overpair, a flopped flush is unlikely, what i dont want to see is another spade, if villian is going to draw to a spade, its going to cost him a lot (I probably bet slighty over the pot)

Raydain
03-19-2005, 02:34 AM
way too passive

Spladle Master
03-19-2005, 03:53 AM
The pre-flop call is fine but your post-flop fold makes me want to punch you hard in the face until you bleed and cry. Pussy.

PktAcesSoWht
03-19-2005, 12:50 PM
as far as forum goes, this is a hand analysis question, and since I play MTTs and STTs almost exclusively I felt that it would fit, not to mention some of the times I have asked for input on a hand on the STT forum there has not been that much input received. Thanks for your thoughts on the hand, I appreciate all of them.

PktAcesSoWht
03-19-2005, 12:53 PM
I played it like I was in the SB with two suited cards and was getting a good price to play the pot. That is why I called. I can honestly say I don't remember this type of hand happening for me in the last year, even though I have played these types of hands. Well, I should say, I don't remember it happening when I didn't have Ax and it was the nuts, not that hard to play that hand.

PktAcesSoWht
03-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I slammed my head into my desk after I folded this because I knew that I misplayed it, but I just didn't know what to do at the moment.

Just kidding, I didn't slam my head, but I pulled some hair out.

thanks.

Spladle Master
03-27-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I slammed my head into my desk after I folded this because I knew that I misplayed it, but I just didn't know what to do at the moment.

Just kidding, I didn't slam my head, but I pulled some hair out.

thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do feel better now. Sorry for being such a dick, but this fold is so bad that it ANGERED me.