PDA

View Full Version : This is whats wrong with online SnG's

PokerPaul
03-18-2005, 12:28 PM
dont get me wrong, i love them and have lots of fun (not to mention profits) from them.

However, with the limits structure (10 hands per level), the irony of them is that it takes more skill and strategy during those earlier rounds to play, as opposed to the later rounds once its down to 5 or less players, since at that point it simply becomes allin preflop or nothing.

Very few post flop decisions since people mostly push because the blinds are so hi, and most of remaining players only have stacks anywhere from 4-5 big blinds worth or less.

the funny thing is this is when the money places get decided, and the luck factor increases greatly over the skill factor...at games most crucual stages.

I don't know how to improve this....other than having maybe blinds drop back 2 levels once its down to 4 players or something.....or to maybe just stop blinds increases after level 4 or 5...which would extend the time of these STT's, but i think the more skillful players would carry edge even further....something i definitely would like.

dfscott
03-18-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the irony of them is that it takes more skill and strategy during those earlier rounds to play, as opposed to the later rounds once its down to 5 or less players, since at that point it simply becomes allin preflop or nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but skill does come into play in knowing when to go all-in and when to fold.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how to improve this....

[/ QUOTE ]

Play MTTs instead.

codewarrior
03-18-2005, 12:39 PM
How about play someplace that has timed levels for their SnG's?

adam5206
03-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Pokerstars has 10 minutes per level. This probably is about 10 hands when its a full table but when u get down to maybe 3 players and theres stealin goin on u may even get about 3 hands a minute.

What im getting to is u should find a new pokerroom.

eastbay
03-18-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dont get me wrong, i love them and have lots of fun (not to mention profits) from them.

However, with the limits structure (10 hands per level), the irony of them is that it takes more skill and strategy during those earlier rounds to play, as opposed to the later rounds once its down to 5 or less players, since at that point it simply becomes allin preflop or nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that point is debatable, although it's probably more true in the higher buy-ins where the players have more or less mastered the structure and the preflop game.

However, a typical ring player will probably make more mistakes in the late stages, because they simply don't know the proper strategy for the high blind game.

I acknowledge that the preflop game is instrinsically less complex than the deep money game. However, all you need is for players not to understand it very well, and there are plenty of big edges to be found.

eastbay

spentrent
03-18-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These sound like the sentiments of a person who has gotten so good at this particular subset of poker that he feels like he's not playing "real" poker anymore since the decisions come so naturally.

If it's a different challenge -- and not just profit -- that fulfills you, maybe you should try playing 6-handed tournaments? More opportunities arise for you to test your poker logic?

ornthnooth
03-18-2005, 02:04 PM
I would suggest trying the two table sng's. You start with 1000 instead of 800 and the blinds are timed. For the most part, the competition is the same as the 1 tables (at the $10 + 1 level), and you get to see more hands before the blinds get up there. If you happen to get a tourney full of real "live ones", it's down to one table really quick.

With that said, I'll echo the sentiments of the previous posters that adjustments can be made to mitigate the luck factor at the one table sng's.

harmonjh
03-18-2005, 03:07 PM
Maybe it seems more lucky because of the lower starting hand requirements. My experience up through the $20 tables on Stars is that most people play tighter at the higher levels and by the time the all in fest begins, I have a good read on them.

TylerD
03-18-2005, 03:13 PM
Play on PokerStars - far more chance for skill to shine through. Of course they're less profitable; better players and they take longer.

jcm4ccc
03-18-2005, 03:15 PM
If what you are saying is true, then this is what your finish percentages would look like, once you get down to 5 players:

5th: 20%
4th: 20%
3rd: 20%
2nd: 20%
1st: 20%

If you're doing better than this, than you are more skillful on average than other players when the blinds are high.