PDA

View Full Version : putting someone all in

queenhigh
03-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Pot is $600. Opponent has $500, you have $1,000. You want to put him all in.

If you want him to fold, do you bet $500 or go all in?
If you want him to call, do you bet $500 or go all in?

Cornell Fiji
03-18-2005, 12:24 PM
it depends.

queenhigh
03-18-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it depends.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know, thats what i'm asking...when do you push versus simply bet enough to put him all in.

aggie
03-18-2005, 12:35 PM
Assuming nobody else is in the pot, i always find it scarier when somebody matches my stacksize exactly...It's less scary when they just go all in.

Against weak competition (that you don't play with allot) go all in if you want a call, and bet they're stack when you want them to fold....

Against tougher opponents (that you play with a lot and pick up on tendencies) pick one and do it the same way everytime....

CanKid
03-18-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it depends.

[/ QUOTE ]

And to think I was looking forward to your response.

gomberg
03-18-2005, 01:49 PM
I think this is generally a semi-important question to ask. Online, there is a choice in the matter, and there are tendencies to be discovered if playing an average / below average opponent.

I find that a lot of times the short-stack will call no matter what, because they are usually bad players. It does seem that the all-in may generate more calls from deeper, higher level opponents. This is especially true when you can represent a bluff or a draw. Hence on a flush draw board, if I want someone to call, I almost always push when I raise on a flop with a set so they can talk themselves into me having a draw. If you have a draw, try doing the exact stacksize and see if you get results (a fold). Against observant opposition, this won't work.

The exact stacksize bet is almost like a challenge to the ego of the player to call. Your opponent really matters. Against a maniac, bluffer who checked to me, i like the exact bet...

Enough rambling - i like the original response - it depends.

Ray Zee
03-18-2005, 04:12 PM
say to yourself. how much will he call. and bet a little less when you want him in. and when you want him out say how much will he call and bet more than that. bet more or less of that amount based on how accurate your read is. simple. oh well almost simple.

theBruiser500
03-18-2005, 04:25 PM
you can get into the psychology of it "uh oh a $5000 bet into a $50 pot, he must want me to fold!" which is kind of important but don't forget a $5000 bet is a $5000 bet and it is a lot and hard to call.

blingice
03-18-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you want him to fold, do you bet $500 or go all in?
If you want him to call, do you bet $500 or go all in?

[/ QUOTE ]

So is the question whether the pschological effect of going all in is better/worse than just putting him all in?

/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bling.

aggie
03-18-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So is the question whether the pschological effect of going all in is better/worse than just putting him all in?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that is what the poster was trying to get at...Maybe it should have been posted in the psychology forum

FoxwoodsFiend
03-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Against even slightly competent players, an opponent will understand that he's being put all in regardless of whether the person with a deeper stack throws in a million dollars or just the 500. I can't imagine this is ever relevant, and if it is you're dealing with an essentially random reaction that is hard to predict.

tek
03-26-2005, 10:06 PM
It also depends on whether you want to isolate him. By going all in, the players behind him may fold.