PDA

View Full Version : This felt wrong

Rico Suave
03-18-2005, 11:50 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if UTG is a 2+2er. He is taggy, with an emphasis on aggression, capable of folding. He recently cold capped preflop out of the blinds with TT after I 3-bet a UTG raise.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Rico is Button with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Rico 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Rico calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Rico checks.

Turn: (4.70 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Rico calls.

River: (6.70 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Rico calls.

Final Pot: 8.70 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 8.70 BB, between Rico and UTG.</font>

Given that I checked the flop, I have to go to showdown, right? If I bet the flop, and he pushes back, am I folding the turn unimproved? Is he really betting the river with a worse hand?

--Rico

spydog
03-18-2005, 11:57 AM
His preflop cap, check the flop play is suspect. This is usually something like QQ or KK. If he has 99-JJ he would want to bet this flop and pick it up right there. I doubt he gets cute with AK here either.

I think a good plan here is to bet the flop. He might fold right there. If he calls then check behind on the turn and call any river bet. This handcuffs any cute slowplay he was attempting. If he checkraises the flop I might be inclined to fold the turn unimproved.

sublime
03-18-2005, 12:01 PM
if he caps TT out the blind to an UTG raise he way overaggressive and calling him down here seems fine. i am amazed at how often people overplay thier hands, and oddly enough the only concern i have is the fact that he checked the flop.