PDA

View Full Version : OMG, you gotta get................................ Blockbuster Online

TStoneMBD
03-18-2005, 11:50 AM
how many of you are using blockbuster online or netflix?

ive been using blockbuster online for a couple of weeks now. its amazing. its like $15/m or something like that. you go on their website and setup a que list of all the dvds that you want shipped to your doorstep. they send you 3 at a time. each dvd comes with a return envelop (they pay shipping). the dvds arrive at your doorstep usually 2-3 days after you order them, and it takes 2-3 days for blockbuster to receive them and update your account. as soon as they receive a dvd you sent out they send you another one immediately. im pretty sure that they have every single dvd every produced up for rent. only downside is that some of the dvds have waits, as they are overly demanded. most dont though.

so far ive seen ray, magnolia, resevoir dogs, collateral and sky captain and the word of tommorow (oops.)

i just bought a dvd burner off ebay. im gonna buy 2 blockbuster online accounts, so that i can have 6dvds at a time, and i plan on having the most ridiculous dvd collection in no time.

its gonna be GRRRRRRReeeaaatt!!

http://www.blockbuster.com

Two Finger
03-18-2005, 11:51 AM
what's the difference between this and Netflix?

IndieMatty
03-18-2005, 11:53 AM
5 bucks a month.

TStoneMBD
03-18-2005, 11:55 AM
theres no difference i guess. either way, both programs are awesome. are there any waiting lists on netflix or can you get any dvd immediately?

ethan
03-18-2005, 11:55 AM
From what I understand Netflix has better selection and service. Also, Blockbuster's evil.

ethan
03-18-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
theres no difference i guess. either way, both programs are awesome. are there any waiting lists on netflix or can you get any dvd immediately?

[/ QUOTE ]

Waiting lists are very, very rare. I have 270 movies in my queue, 2 of which I might have to wait for.

TStoneMBD
03-18-2005, 11:57 AM
i didnt know that netflix has been open that long. i thought theyve only been doing this for the past year. wow i guess im not with the times. maybe i will switch over then, or signup with both accounts.

Shajen
03-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Netflix PWNS blockbuster. Plus, they have that whole "We aren't a giant monopoly out to screw you" thing going on.

Sporky
03-18-2005, 12:01 PM
been using netflix for years. i've never waited more than 1 extra day for a movie. i would probably just use whatever service had a closer depot to me. for a while i lived in mobile and had to ship my movies to atlanta and the turnaround was almost a week. i now have a netflix depot in the same town as me and i usually get the next movie 2 days after i send one in. pretty nice.

Dangergirl
03-18-2005, 12:10 PM
I've also been using netflix for about a year now. After they receive the movie the turnaround is amazingly fast. The closer you are to one of their hubs the faster. There's no way I would switch plus you can upgrade to more movies at once.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-18-2005, 12:13 PM
All this crap is going to go the way of the dodo as soon as TiVo can work out whatever problems they're having with on-demand movies. I thought they were teaming up with Netflix on this, no?

JinX11
03-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Use Netflix, bro...thank me, later.

hogua
03-18-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i just bought a dvd burner off ebay. im gonna buy 2 blockbuster online accounts, so that i can have 6dvds at a time, and i plan on having the most ridiculous dvd collection in no time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't you ever read the FBI warnings at the begining of every DVD... you know the one titled FBI WARNING?

What you are planning to do is a serious crime. You should be assamed of yourself... for posting your plans on the interent. You're goin' to be so busted!

hahahah

cnfuzzd
03-18-2005, 12:21 PM
welcome to last year.

peace

john nickle

pokerjo22
03-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Can we get rid of this Blockbuster affiliate spam please? Jeez.

TStoneMBD
03-18-2005, 12:28 PM
btw when you sign up for your Blockbuster Online account, type TSMBD into the referral box to receive a $5 discount on your first month!

El Barto
03-18-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
resevoir dogs

[/ QUOTE ]

Great movie

istewart
03-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Doesn't Blockbuster not have late fees anymore? Why not just go to their store then?

I think it's pretty clear that Netflix has royally pwned Blockbuster in the behind.

Paluka
03-18-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't Blockbuster not have late fees anymore? Why not just go to their store then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha! Of course they have late fees, the attorney general of NJ is sueing their ass for claiming they don't.

istewart
03-18-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha! Of course they have late fees, the attorney general of NJ is sueing their ass for claiming they don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao! Really? That's great.

Uston
03-18-2005, 01:22 PM
If you never have to wait an extra day for a movie you must never request any TV shows or new movies. It's been "long wait" on The Incredibles since I added it a week ago and "very long wait" for disc one of Kung Fu since early January.

Oh, and most people will have a Netflix depot nearby. It's a really good system they've got.

Grisgra
03-18-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From what I understand Netflix has better selection and service. Also, Blockbuster's evil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. To make space for more DVDs in their stores, Blockbuster DESTROYED a bunch of their old VHS tapes instead of reselling them. Destroyed a bunch of rare/OOP stuff in the process. Pricks. I'm a Netflix guy and not changing to save 3 (not 5) bucks a month.

benfranklin
03-18-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Has anyone done this yet? I know that tapes and DVDs are copy protected. There was a way around the protection for rental tapes. Any found that they can or can't copy DVDs?

Also, I haven't checked it out yet, but Hollywood Video is apparently starting a similar fixed price program for in-store rentals. I think that it is limited to exclude the newest releases.

nickey009
03-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Netflix has a turn over of 1 day for me. When they receive my movie I have a new one in hand the next day.

codewarrior
03-18-2005, 02:36 PM
dick dick dick dick dick dick dick.....

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-18-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone done this yet? I know that tapes and DVDs are copy protected. There was a way around the protection for rental tapes. Any found that they can or can't copy DVDs?

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not here to comment on the past. Let's focus on the positive.

gazarsgo
03-18-2005, 02:47 PM
you're very lucky then. I have a Netflix hub (at least I think they put one in Ventura or Oxnard...) 1 hour drive away and I have a 3-4 day turn around.

I've been a subscriber since November 2001. There's no reason to use Blockbuster AFAIK.

RollaJ
03-18-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Netflix has a turn over of 1 day for me. When they receive my movie I have a new one in hand the next day.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto,
If I mail back the DVDs Monday I get the new ones Wednesday.... Netflix=More Better

Mano
03-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Very easy to do. Go here (http://www.doom9.org/) for links to all the software and information you need to copy your DVD's. I have copied my personal DVD collection to my computers hard drive. I haven't made back-ups onto other DVD's because most of the commercial DVD's are on double-layer DVD's (~9GB) and the single layer DVD media is 4.7 GB. My burner will do the double layer DVD's, but the blank media is currently very expensive (you can shrink the image to fit a single layer DVD, but that results in a quality loss, or sometimes you can get the movie to fit on a single layer DVD if you chuck the extra language tracks, trailers, extras, etc.).