PDA

View Full Version : Ugly AK Hand (i am good at producing these)

theBruiser500
03-18-2005, 11:49 AM
The HH is messed up but one of the blinds went all in for $30 or $45 so there is that side pot with him. Not sure what's up with AK preflop, people say it's never a mistake to cap with it, and everyone always says raise preflop so I just always cap my AK although I see that other people don' necessarily auto raise with it preflop. Doesn't seem like caping served a purpose in this hand.

Then post flop makes me /images/graemlins/frown.gif, doesn't feel good to me.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (9.66 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.83 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.83 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.83 BB

CanKid
03-18-2005, 12:04 PM
I play it the same way and get stuck the same amount.

The bike draw always comes on the turn too, satanic.

TStoneMBD
03-18-2005, 12:22 PM
looks good. you say that capping didnt accomplish anything here, and youre probably right, but would the hand have played out better for you if you didnt cap? you would have saved yourself 1SB, but you have a hand that is likely ahead preflop, and capping will help you in alot of situations. thats not to say always go ahead and cap with AK, but in multiway pots that is usually the case. in heads up pots its not really necessary to cap with AK, and i wouldnt do it every time unless i had a reason to.

theBruiser500
03-18-2005, 12:48 PM
I think it gives the other dude an advantage cause he has a pocket pair and he will play me for AK which I have and he has position on me. So it's just putting more money into the pot out of position when my opponent knows where I'm at.

Chris Daddy Cool
03-18-2005, 01:03 PM
firstly bruiser, when you cap, he doesn't know you have AK, he knows you "might" have AK here when he puts you on a range of hands. and he won't always have a PP here either, he "might" have one, as you put him on a range of hands.

remember in limit hold'em people don't just 3-bet with AA-JJ. they have a much wider range of hands.

the reason why i might cap here is if this guy is aggressive and will 3-bet me with hands like AQ, AJ, KQ, or 88-55.

yes 88-55 is beating me here, but he will have a difficult time playing on a board like QT8 or whatever.

though not capping preflop is perfectly reasonable too, but if there are other callers between you, capping is a must for equity.

JasonP530
03-18-2005, 02:30 PM
As has been said, you played it ok. Was a good fold on the river, as he was unlikely to have AK as well, given his show of strength to your cap. If youre that concerned, you could just call down in this HU pot, since youre not going to get him to fold anything you beat(especially on that board). The best times to cap with AK are in position and in multiway pots. Someone raises, 2 CC and LAG 3 bets. Thats a great time to cap with good equity, even if the original raiser is tight. With anything but KK or AA, he is going to have a tough time playing it strongly after the flop. With QQ and JJ, youre 50/50 with a bunch of dead money in the pot if you hit.

jgorham
03-18-2005, 05:23 PM
I would call this on the river.

SpaceAce
03-19-2005, 07:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would call this on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

What, why? Are you hoping to snap him off that one in twenty times he also has AK so you can split the pot? I don't think the hero is ahead anywhere near enough to call the river.

SpaceAce

Prevaricator
03-19-2005, 07:19 AM
Is checkraising the turn an idea, or will you always get looked up. Seems like it would represent aces.

theBruiser500
03-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Sounds like preflop I don't need to cap, and post flop I played fine. River all in guy had Ax lost, guy who kept betting had AQ and won.

TStoneMBD
03-19-2005, 10:24 AM
you will always get looked up. overpairs will never fold in PP15.