PDA

View Full Version : i need a breathalyzer on my computer

maldini
03-18-2005, 11:40 AM
how do i prevent myself from coming home drunk and playing cards? 1 bad session could (hasnt yet) ruin alot of hours of work.

bringing home a chic is the only solution i can find. wish it were that easy.

any thoughts?

mostsmooth
03-18-2005, 12:03 PM
dont drink, or dont come home

Ghazban
03-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Put the computer in a closet and lock it; then hide the key somewhere different every time you go out. When you're drunk, you won't be able to remember where you put the key so you can't play.

Mayhap
03-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Limit the times you drink and play cards to St. Patrick's day.

/M

Victor
03-18-2005, 04:24 PM
learn how to play well drunk.

or play 6max so your aggression will be closer to optimal.

SNOWBALL138
03-18-2005, 11:29 PM
I think the don't come home option is the best one I can think of. When I think I'm not in a good condition to play, I go to the pool hall.

The problem with internet poker is that its not easy to limit your losses when your game is off. 10 days ago, I was home with the flu, and lost a good amount of money while playing sick. I couldn't think straight at all.

Incidentally, I don't have a problem with drinking and playing, but the couple times I have done it, my play was ok, but less good than usual. Maybe I just got lucky those times, but more likely I am just a good drunk. For example, I can be sloshed, and none of my friends can tell. I have a good steady external calm.

If your drinking is hurting your profits, you should take extreme measures against it. I would reccomend writing yourself a letter about it so you can read it before you begin to play drunk.

Good luck addressing this problem. Here's hoping I don't get the flu again any time soon!

AlienCorpse
03-19-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how do i prevent myself from coming home drunk and playing cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

Drink more beer so you pass out and therefore can not play cards.

tek
03-19-2005, 12:43 AM
Put password protection on your computer. Then hopefully if you are too drunk to play, you'll be too drunk to remember your password.

Harv72b
03-19-2005, 12:49 AM
Before you go out drinking, unplug every single connection on the back of your computer.

When you come home drunk, the urge not to hook your computer back up should greatly outweigh the urge to play poker. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

PassiveCaller
03-19-2005, 01:35 AM
If you are drinking to the point where you are controllably playing poker or losing money there is a far greater problem in your life that needs to be dealt with. This could be easier said then done...

maldini
03-19-2005, 05:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are drinking to the point where you are controllably playing poker or losing money there is a far greater problem in your life that needs to be dealt with. This could be easier said then done...

[/ QUOTE ]

? huh? i'm drunk again (not playing cards) and dont get the post.

my best bet: lets sticky this post so i can check it before i sit down drunk.

FWIw, i'm slightly up while playing drunk but i am certain its pure luck. the sample size is miniscule and i'm certainly not playing better than when i'm sober. i just know im going to have 1 or 2 bad sessions at some point and will really regret it.

as to a previous poster regarding getting used to playing drunk: kind of reminds me of jack nichlaus. i seem to remember that he would practise swinging hard when he was young b/c he knew he wanted to swing hard when his swing was perfect.

can some one learn to play drunk. i dont think so.

bogey
03-19-2005, 05:05 PM
ive done this a few times, it really sucks waking up and realizing how much money you lost, after learning the hard way a few times, i just dont do it anymore

some things i did though were put a big sign on my computer before i went out that said dont play drunk [censored], the other thing i did which worked well was just to play heads up sit n goes, since the drunken bluffing/aggression was a good thing

trying2learn
03-19-2005, 05:10 PM
i have a buddy who has an account that he plays maniac micro-limits, and then another account that he plays for amounts more applicable to his bankroll...set yourself up a little $50 account at a site that you only play drunk .50/1$ or something.

BarronVangorToth
03-19-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are drinking to the point where you are controllably playing poker or losing money there is a far greater problem in your life that needs to be dealt with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. No one taught him how to play poker properly drunk - or he doesn't practice enough playing drunk.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

NotMitch
03-19-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how do i prevent myself from coming home drunk and playing cards? 1 bad session could (hasnt yet) ruin alot of hours of work.

bringing home a chic is the only solution i can find. wish it were that easy.

any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I come home drunk and want to play I either play with play money or the $5 PLO on Stars since that isnt a risk to my BR.