PDA

View Full Version : A different 99 on a fairly tight aggressive table.

BigEndian
03-18-2005, 11:34 AM
I thought I would try something different for me with this 99. Before I RRed, I checked this players stats: 10% PFR with over 1000 hands.

If you like this line, why? If you don't like this line, why?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: BigEndian is UTG+1 with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BigEndian calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BigEndian 3-bets...</font>

- Jim

Entity
03-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Tell me something about CO. Got anything on him?

Rob

Super Pro
03-18-2005, 11:38 AM
i think i like it but i'm not sure. its good to mix it up here and there.

BigEndian
03-18-2005, 11:39 AM
I didn't have any notes on him and he didn't stand out one way or the other.

- Jim

BigEndian
03-18-2005, 12:07 PM
Perhaps this will make it more interesting (but I'm expecting more results-oriented thinking)? Or is this one of those things where people can take it or leave it. If it is, I'm curious why I don't see it more often.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: BigEndian is UTG+1 with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BigEndian calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BigEndian 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, CO calls, BigEndian calls.

- Jim

Entity
03-18-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't have any notes on him and he didn't stand out one way or the other.

- Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I probably wouldn't do it if he were decent or otherwise tightish.

I don't mind it much here, though I'd just raise this as my standard (guessing you do too).

Rob

admiralfluff
03-18-2005, 12:15 PM
I don't like it, you're setting yourself up out of position with a hand that is usually a coinflip at best. If you had a read on CO that he would likely fold for 2 more, it would be an OK isolation bet, but I would prefer MP to be either a real LAG, increasing the favorability of your hand to his raising range, or very passive post flop. When overs fall, it will be difficult for you to determine where you are against moderately aggressive players. Against LAGs, calling down is profitable, and passives will reliable let you fold when you are behind, and usually pay off when you're not.

Does your sn originate from the literary, or computer architecture reference? If the latter, nerds get their pants pulled down and are spanked with moon rocks.

sfer
03-18-2005, 12:18 PM
I like it with players you see again and again, which might be true more so now at 3/6 than in months past given all of the multidonking going on. The downside is that an aggressive opponent (say, for example, me) will put you on cheese and cap a wide range (like I would cap almost ANYTHING I raised behind you, especially with the donk behind me) which leaves you really uncomfortable and most players are much more likely to look you up with improved overs, especially Ace high. It seems like that's not such a bad thinng if they call with AK unimproved, but by the time you get to the turn the pot will probably be big enough where you almost certainly want them folding 2 overs.

spydog
03-18-2005, 12:34 PM
I don't like the initial openlimp. Open raise this.

There's really nothing to like when limp-reraising with 99 out of position.

BigEndian
03-18-2005, 12:38 PM
I was looking at it the other way. That if I didn't appear to be out of line that the LRR on a tightish table would appear to be a real hand and might get overs to fold on a missed flop or turn.

I was behaving myself on this table up until this point.

I'm also curious about why you would cap with any holding you would raise with. Do you take most LRRs as completely bogus regardless of the table texture? I don't believe this to be the case on a tight table. You're much more likely to see a LRR that is chip spewing on a loose-ish table.

- Jim

BigEndian
03-18-2005, 12:44 PM
What's the difference between me getting 3-bet from my open raise on a TA table and getting 3-bets in there with a LRR?

[edit] This is a rhetorical question btw. Clearly there are differences. But what they are an whether that makes the LRR good is debatable.

- Jim

sfer
03-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I'm inclined to view a LRR as suited crap absent information about the player, and I tend to cap in order to send a clear message that the LRR with cheese will get capped nearly always. This is coming from playing much more live than online recently, and knowing my opponents much better, and knowing that they might remember that I will cap them lighter than usual.

I agree with your comments that, given the table conditions, your LRR looks more real than if the table were loose. But, I would always need to spray a bit on the flop in order to give you credit unless I already knew you LRRs as a regular line with your monsters.

SA125
03-18-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought I would try something different for me with this 99.

[/ QUOTE ]

For this reason alone it's worth it.