PDA

View Full Version : Crazy action at my home game HELP ME!

sng-sam
03-18-2005, 10:17 AM
I am in need of some help. I play in a weekly live 1/2 NL game. Most players are fairly well off but they are terrible players. By way of example....

UTG raises $25 PF...MP2 calls.....Button reraises to $125...UTG calls.....MP2 calls....2 players are all in. Cards flip over....UTG has K/images/graemlins/spade.gifK/images/graemlins/diamond.gif .....MP2 has Q/images/graemlins/heart.gifT/images/graemlins/diamond.gif button has Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gifT/images/graemlins/heart.gif ...nuff said. Now on to MY problems.

$10 is the minimum raise in this game. Unconventional but the norm here.

Hand #1:
MP2 limps.....MP3 limps CO limps Hero (button) had A/images/graemlins/diamond.gifA/images/graemlins/club.gif Hero raises to $10 SB calls.....MP 3 calls.

Pot has ~$50...
Flop 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif4/images/graemlins/heart.gif8/images/graemlins/spade.gif
SB checks MP3 Checks...Hero bets $50 SB reraises $80 Hero MP3 folds Hero calls (all in)

Showdown: SB shows Q/images/graemlins/club.gif4/images/graemlins/club.gif
Turn and River are no help

Do I not bet $50 on the flop here? I think I have to make a potsized bet here to protect against the flush? These are the typical ways that big hands get cracked in this game. Do I just accept this as the reality and realise that proper play will win more often than lose (ala Fundemental Theorem of Poker) or do I just stop playing in this game?

MickeyHoldem
03-18-2005, 10:54 AM
So you play in a game where the players make terrible calls with nothing!... but do they re-rasie with nothing... You gotta know he has a 4 here.

Live with it... it sound like a HUGE +EV game for you in the long run!!

Fins
03-18-2005, 11:58 AM
Don't know why you only raised the min PF??

The question is what do you put him on reraising with? Is he the kind of player to try and push you off a hand... with a pot size bet? Again your PF min raise could easily mean he has a 4 or the full house. You flop bet was overbetting the pot ($50 in a $34 Pot?) with a paired-flush draw board... and you don't have the backdoor draw. Definitely call with your all-in as there's still a good chance he's reraising w/ a high pair.

My thoughts,
Fins

Slow Play Ray
03-18-2005, 12:12 PM
I love that Q4. Sentimental favorite.

Johnny5
03-18-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do I not bet $50 on the flop here? I think I have to make a potsized bet here to protect against the flush? These are the typical ways that big hands get cracked in this game. Do I just accept this as the reality and realise that proper play will win more often than lose (ala Fundemental Theorem of Poker) or do I just stop playing in this game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I don't see anything terrible here, but slow playing aces in this game may not be the way to go.

J5

TheJunkyardGod
03-18-2005, 12:46 PM
In insane games like this, you might have been out of luck no matter what you had done. Keep in mind, his Q4 was in fact, Suited.

Regardless, I would have raised alot more preflop.

Johnny5
03-18-2005, 12:55 PM
True, but don't you mean 'soooooooted'?

J5

djoyce003
03-18-2005, 03:01 PM
bad beat post, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

brokedickrooster
03-18-2005, 03:31 PM
I play in a very similar game. The key for me is patience. Play the game right and eventually the fish will bust out.

msb
03-18-2005, 04:38 PM
With a minimum pre-flop raise, you are asking for all kinds of hands to stick around. If I were in SB, I'd definitely call a minimum pre-flop raise with hands like 3-4s, 4-5s, 8-8, A-4s... for this very reason: to bust you if I hit.

The question is... was the SB who check-raised you (after you raised pre-flop, no less!) one of the same guys who went all-in on Q-T in the previous hand? If so, then you may feel that he's bluffing (or at least semi-bluffing with two spades).

On the other hand, if the guy is relatively solid, while Q-4s would be a hard read, you've gotta put him on a 4 or maybe 8-8.

I know it's hard to lay down Aces (they look so pretty, don't they?)... but with that board, you need to respect the check-raise and probably pick a better spot to get your money all-in.

Lesson: Don't slow-play Aces in a loose game (I've leaned this the hard way... and so, now, have you. That's good, it usually sticks better that way.)

bubbafry
03-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Keep in mind sometimes you're going to lose with AA no matter what, but I agree with the folks above. The only reason to make a minimum raise pre-flop is if the table is really tight and you think everyone's going to fold with a large raise. However, seeing this:

[ QUOTE ]
UTG raises $25 PF...MP2 calls.....Button reraises to $125...UTG calls.....MP2 calls....2 players are all in. Cards flip over....UTG has KK .....MP2 has QT button has QT ...nuff said. Now on to MY problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't worry about not getting any action. Make a big raise preflop, maybe even go all-in if the other players are super loose. If everyone folds and you take down the blinds, so be it. You can't double up everytime you have AA.

As for betting flop, definitely the right move, especially with a potential flush draw and possible inside straight draw.
Should you call the check-raise? I probably would, unless the dude is some sort of rock (even then I still might call). Pot is $230 at this point, you're getting about 3:1. He could easily have 99 thru KK, a pair of 8's, maybe KQs or some other flush draw (with or without overcards), maybe even AKo. Maybe he has nothing at all and is bluffing completely.

[ QUOTE ]
or do I just stop playing in this game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ultra loose games are easy to play. Just wait for monsters preflop and go all-in.