PDA

View Full Version : Medium wired pockets dilemma

stokken
03-18-2005, 07:52 AM
How to go about these hands
I range medium fromm 77-JJ
If in ring game in middle position with limper/s infront
and 3-4 players yet to act. I have tried to play these hands making 4-7 times bb raises( with variation, but as a general) ofcourse dependent upon how well I feel I understand the limpers, hoping to fold A-q to A-9 s or worse, ready to fold to any reraise of substance( again dependent upon my understanding and pattern of raiser) Possibly also driving out low connectors s or os. The issue is then the pressure one builds on one self. If callers one has to assume wired pockets within the same range as one self or a-x high, if several callers one is possibly against at least a-x, pair, and/or flush/str8 draws. If in position I feel most flopps are ok to figure dependent upon the action , but if first to act problems arise unless hitting the set and not many overcards giving the opponent a possible better set. Then if not many overcards the suspicion of a str8 draw arises and even a hit.The problem is almost any connectors, a`s or flush possabilities makes a scary board when out of position with these hands. Quit playing these hands from middle position,raise or limp???

Cornell Fiji
03-18-2005, 08:18 AM
In general I like a small pot building raise with 22-JJ but I want multiple callers as I am really playing these hands for set value. If there are overcards (as their usually is) I think the best strategy is to try to get to a showdown cheeply and when there are no overcards I am still careful not to go broke with my hand. I play these pairs much more aggressively in live games when I can get a feel for if the flop hit my opponent, I play them much more passively in online play. When I hit a set I almost always play it fast.

Just because your mid pair is a slight favorite preflop does not in any way mean that you are entitled to the pot however, be careful not to overplay these hands.

-Steve