PDA

View Full Version : urgent help needed. essay due in 6 hours. how can i relate these 2?

gamblore99
03-18-2005, 07:28 AM
For my last sub arguement I want to show that death is not an evil in itself, so by kantian ethics it is not immoral. can i do that? how would i do that? I only know the basics of kantian ethics (categorical imperative, importance of autonomy)

nicky g
03-18-2005, 08:10 AM
Huh? How can death be immoral or moral?
Honestly dude this is a dumb place to ask for help with university level philosophy essays. At least try a philosophy forum.

" only know the basics of kantian ethics (categorical imperative, importance of autonomy) "

Then don't touch them.

bholdr
03-18-2005, 05:08 PM
Apply the categorical imperitive, already!

but i geuss that doesn't really work. Death, as an action, is not one that a person can 'will' to happen, which is the lynchpin of the categorical imperitive. "act only in such a manner that you can consistantly WILL that action..."

However, if a person WERE able to will their own death,(suicide") that would be clearly immoral under the categorical imperitive. I would suggest that you focus on that as a part of your essay. Here is a good link (http://www.class.uidaho.edu/mickelsen/texts/Weber%20-%20History/kant.htm) for info on Kant's basic ideas.

If you are dead ste on showing that death is not an evil in itself, focus on it's inapplicability to the categorical imperitive, also, Kant believed that it was nesessary to believe in god, and that god was nesessary- you can work that angle in a bit- as god wills that men must die, and god is a precondition to morality, the two would be contradictory if death was an evil-in-itself.

GL.