PDA

View Full Version : How about a good old slowplay..

Huhmare
03-18-2005, 06:36 AM
I'm clearing a bonus at absolute and i ran into this hand..

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, CO calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises $4 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, CO calls.

River: (16.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 25.50 BB

Those raises in the river came so fast paced that I thought for a while and just mucked...

einbert
03-18-2005, 06:56 AM
You have to three-bet the turn, are you waiting for sixth street to raise it up? Your hand is not entirely invincible now with the two hearts on board and the pot is growing quite large. The time to protect is now.

I am clueless as to whether the river fold is correct, but I would most certainly call. I would be so pissed if I folded the best hand here after my cute little slowplay all the way down I would probably take some $100 bills and light them on fire just to burn myself.

Huhmare
03-18-2005, 07:03 AM
yeah.. i know.. but.. i still would not have won that pot, if there really were a flush draw.. u think villains are gonna fold their 4-flushes when they hit it?? no way!

I think the river fold is okay, since two players were raising immediately after that flush card.. If one player could cap the river, I'd call, but two players.. just throw it away..

einbert
03-18-2005, 07:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah.. i know.. but.. i still would not have won that pot, if there really were a flush draw.. u think villains are gonna fold their 4-flushes when they hit it?? no way!

[/ QUOTE ]

Protecting your hand doesn't always mean your opponent folds, it means making your opponent put in additional bets when they are a 4-1 underdog too. (80% of those bets belong s to you!)

I agree the river fold is not terrible. I'm lost on whether it's barely right or barely wrong though.

EDIT: I think it's probably a profitable +EV play in the long run, but that 1% of the time that you fold the best hand is going to suck something major (edit: i meant psychologically)

Huhmare
03-18-2005, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

EDIT: I think it's probably a profitable +EV play in the long run, but that 1% of the time that you fold the best hand is going to suck something major.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I knew for sure, that I had to call only 2BB, I'd make a crying call, but since I know that UTG is going to cap very often....... I'd hate to call that last bet knowing I'm beat. But I would have to call that one too..

If there is a thing called online read, I got one this time.. The time used in decisions vary. When villain bets very quickly like he was waiting some card, it's time to call. But when two villains make the same... It's close, but given my read I say folding is +EV

Dave G.
03-18-2005, 07:29 AM
If you slowplay the flop you must raise the turn. When people DO miss their draws on the river, they won't bet or call any of your bets, they'll fold. Like you say, a flush draw isn't going to fold in this pot. Take their money now while you can.

Huhmare
03-18-2005, 07:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you slowplay the flop you must raise the turn. When people DO miss their draws on the river, they won't bet or call any of your bets, they'll fold. Like you say, a flush draw isn't going to fold in this pot. Take their money now while you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll try to remember this.. actually that flop slowplay was fine IMO, but I should have raised the turn now that villains hit their draws.

UTG had 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif and CO had A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif so they both had straightdraw+BD flushdraw on the flop.

Sykes
03-18-2005, 08:05 AM
3 bet the flop.
3 bet the turn.