PDA

View Full Version : How to defend against set when you raise alot preflop?

lehighguy
03-18-2005, 06:23 AM
If I raise in the 8-10bb range preflop with AA or KK, how am I suppose to defend against a set. Especially if there is a draw on the board. It seems like I'm totally pot committed by the turn. And I can't just sit there and not bet.

soah
03-18-2005, 06:34 AM
Raising a lot preflop IS defending against a set.

lawpoker
03-18-2005, 06:42 AM
standard raising pf is 4xBB, +1 for each limper. i used to raise 8xBB, and found myself calling off my stack with an overpair and losing.

now that i'm "properly" rasing, i don't find it nearly so difficult to drop my KK or AA if it appears that i'm beaten.

also, are you raising 8xBB with only AA/KK or with every hand you're raising?

RoyalLance
03-18-2005, 06:46 AM
Pray you flop a set, yourself.

lehighguy
03-18-2005, 06:46 AM
I understand, but is there any way to not lose my whole 100bb postflop. I just lost like $400 in $30 min this way.

I feel I have to bet since there are many calling hands I beat, TPTK, QQ, JJ. Also I don't want a draw or in the case of KK an ace.

I usually have half my stack or more in by the time I get checkraised on the turn.

lehighguy
03-18-2005, 06:48 AM
I normally raise in the 4-6bb range depending on my table.

In each case today I had small raiser (3-4bb)and sometimes a cold caller, so I bumbed it to 8 or 10.

Bongo
03-18-2005, 06:49 AM
If you only have half your stack in the pot you don't have to call the check raise. Feel free to fold, especially in a ring game.

lehighguy
03-18-2005, 06:53 AM
I'm playing 6max $100. And I do win when sometimes when they raise me with KK, QQ etc.

Bongo
03-18-2005, 06:56 AM
I think it is much harder to dump AA or KK if you reraised pf. My reasoning is that the original raiser often has two big cards. If you make a big raise and someone calls you then I have the feeling that the probability is larger that your opponent has a pocket pair and is hoping to flop a set.

lawpoker
03-18-2005, 06:56 AM
ewwwww...didn't realize we were talking about 6-max. disregard anything i said that was dumb. don't know anything about that.

Bongo
03-18-2005, 06:58 AM
same here

lawpoker
03-18-2005, 06:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it is much harder to dump AA or KK if you reraised pf. My reasoning is that the original raiser often has two big cards. If you make a big raise and someone calls you then I have the feeling that the probability is larger that your opponent has a pocket pair and is hoping to flop a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you've put in the 3d raise pf, you're probably safe on a flop w/no paint. but again, it's 6-max...maybe you guys are raising/reraising with 55-99...i don't know. fimbul would know...where's he at?

Bongo
03-18-2005, 07:03 AM
I think the situation is marginal at a 10 handed table since people make a lot of strange plays and it's hard to know if they are bluffing, overplaying a weak hand or betting for value. At 6 handed... well I haven't played 6max NL tables. The limit 6max tables have a tendency to be pretty wild. Is it the same at NL.

lehighguy
03-18-2005, 09:28 AM
Its not uncommon to see people go to the felt with TPTK or overpair. So I like to bet it.

fathertime
03-18-2005, 12:31 PM
In 6 max if someone had already raised to 3 and there was a cold caller, unless there is a specific reason not to do so, I'm reraising hard with aa or kk. Make it 20-25 to go or even more if you want. Not too long ago at 25nl I limped utg with kk. Crazy lag made it 4 to go, as I thought he would. BB cold called. I reraised to 50 and got called by utg+1 who had 88.

If I am the initial raiser, I make my standard raise 4-8 X BB depending on opponents, etc. Basically I do not think you should be worrying about protecting against a set when you preflop raise with a premium pair. You will stack off occassionally. But at the typical pp 6 max 25nl table where folks regularly call preflop raises with ax, kx, qx and anything suited,(from what I've been observing 50 and 100nl play about the same as the 25nl), aa and kk will be two of your biggest money makers.

sourbeaver
03-18-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its not uncommon to see people go to the felt with TPTK or overpair. So I like to bet it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I usually raise enough so that I eliminate the dumb-sh*t hands (okay, they still call bs hands, but what can you do). Then I just wang it out. It'll take big (BIG) doubt and a proven non-crazy player to make me lay my big pairs in a decently raised pot. 6-max talk of course.

Disclaimer : of course I don't push on 789s flops, or QJT flops, you get the idea.