PDA

View Full Version : Question for Jimbo

Amanjyaku
10-04-2002, 05:28 PM
I wandered in the local pool hall last night just as registration for the weekly 9-ball tourney was about to close. $7 buy-in. Cheap. 23 people had signed up. I would make 24. What caught my attention was the break contests. They had two contests that paid $500 and one that paid $200. When a contest pool gets to $500, they start a second contest. you get 2 snaps to make the nine. They pick three players for each contest.

I started thinking. For $7 bucks I would get a 1in4 chance to break for $500. I'm no 9-ball player, but 40 years ago I was playing three-cushion with ivory balls on dead tables, and so while I don't have a modern leave-your-feet 9ball break, I can get the balls moving.

I was thinking that if i was certain to make the nine, then a break even prize would be $28. If I was 1 in 10 to make the nine, then a break even prize would be $280.

My question is - How often does a chump make the nine on a 9' Gold Crown with tight pockets? How about an A player?

P.S. The cloth was pretty old. I've noticed that when the cloth gets old, these pools build up, but when they change it, it goes fast.

Jimbo
10-04-2002, 05:54 PM
Hi there Amanjyaku,

You asked "My question is - How often does a chump make the nine on a 9' Gold Crown with tight pockets? How about an A player?" I would have to guestimate on this one. My answer may surprise you. Off the top of my head I would say an A player when attempting to make the nine will make the nine about 1 time every 12 attempts. It is hard to quantify since you are normally breaking for control and to pocket a specific ball or two wheras attempting to pocket the nine is uncommon. Now the "chump" probably will make it 1 time out of 11 or better due to an erratic break.

Your comment about the cloth is spot on. New cloth is generally much faster depending on the manufacturers lot and specifications. Polishing the balls will help with the action as well and keeps the balls from freezing up as often after the break.

As for your computations on the investment value of your $7 I will leave the majority of that to the math gurus. I might add that you should also add the potential value of cashing in the 9-ball tournament along with the prize pool for nine on the break.

Jimbo

ps: Oh how I long to play with ivory billiard balls again! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Ray Zee
10-04-2002, 11:10 PM
with gold crown and tight pockets unless you really know how to go for the nine ball it will be high. sounds like a good breaker could get the best of it. nostalgia is good but i dont miss hitting those ivory bricks really.

Amanjyaku
10-05-2002, 02:26 AM
I'm not sure I miss Ivories that much, but I liked playing with them when they were round. They kept the english on the third and fourth rails.

If there are any Korean parlors near you, they play a four-ball game with enormous balls, maybe 65 mm. Their action reminds me of the old ivories with their greater mass. I play them every once in a while for nostalgia, and, they're Aramith and more likely to be spherical.