PDA

View Full Version : Party Poker Jackpot Question

Pokey
03-18-2005, 02:19 AM
Hiya, folks. I checked through all the posts in this forum and couldn't see this exact question asked, so I figured I'd throw it out there for someone with super-stats skills.

Party Poker has a jackpot that they're testing out now. According to their rules (http://www.partypoker.com/news/badbeat.html), the following conditions must be met for a jackpot to be paid out:

1. Four or more players must be dealt into the hand.
2. <font color="red">The losing hand must contain four of a kind (8’s) or better to qualify.</font>
3. The BEST hand of <font color="red">the winner and the loser</font> must include <font color="red">both the hole cards</font> and the hand must go to a showdown.
4. The hand must be raked and jackpot contribution collected from the hand to qualify for a bad beat jackpot.
5. The Jackpot Contribution is collected from the pot as soon as the 1st rake is collected in the hand.
6. Jackpot contribution is collected only once during the hand and <font color="red">the value of the jackpot contribution is 50 cents</font>.
7. These contributions are added to the Bad Beat Jackpot till hit.
8. Every time the jackpot is hit, <font color="red">70% of the jackpot amount will be distributed</font> and 20% will be used as seed amount for the next jackpot. 10% will be retained by Party Poker as administrative fee.

Since the jackpot contribution is pulled along with the rake, we can think of this as adding $0.50 to the rake every time a rake is collected. Since the rake basically affects all players equally, we can think of this as each player chipping in their share towards the $0.50 each hand.

I'd say we can safely assume rules #1 and #4 are non-binding; if four 8's or better lose, there's going to be enough betting to get a rake. My question:

<font color="blue">Assume ten players get cards and go to the showdown. How large must the jackpot be in order for the player's expected jackpot value to exceed five cents per hand?</font>

Keep in mind that the expected payoff is going to be 7% of the jackpot's value for each player.

Given this number, we could then adjust it based on the odds that the hand will see a rake at all (which lowers your expected cost), the actual number of players in the hand (fewer players means lower chance of the jackpot hitting), and the (subjective) odds that a dealt jackpot hand will see a showdown (i.e., maybe 34s or pocket 5s won't actually call the flop UTG and therefore will miss their potential jackpot).

I think this would be a handy number to know when I'm deciding which tables to join.

Thanks a bunch for any answers you may be able to provide.

LethalRose
03-18-2005, 02:53 AM
cool avatar

Pokey
03-18-2005, 03:32 AM
Thanks; I stole it. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

BOTW
03-18-2005, 04:35 AM
I don't know how they figured this, but this is from http://www.bonuswhores.com/party-poker.php

BBJ Level Required for +EV: Level BBJ Level
$2-$4 $193,205.51
$3-$6 $222,151.66
$5-$10 $247,629.10
$10-$20 $275,848.94
$15-$30 $262,267.69

BOTW
03-18-2005, 05:32 AM
http://www.math.sfu.ca/~alspach/comp46.pdf appears to say that the odds are about 1 in 155,000 deals for it to be possible.

Does anyone know if a list of the awarded jackpots amounts exists? If it does occur about every 155,000 deals the average jackpot should usually be in the $80-100K range, right? I usually see it double this, so I would estimate it is more like 1 in 300K deals which seems to correlate with the numbers from bonuswhores.

Regardless, sometimes the play at these tables can be crappy enough to overcome the extra rake no matter the size of the jackpot.

Pokey
03-18-2005, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the quick responses, all. Now I know when to play the BBJ tables (infrequently) and when to give them a pass (usually).

SLCKid
03-18-2005, 03:29 PM
perhaps you're more likely to see it double those numbers because the jackpot is around for longer because it's not being hit. You're less likely to notice the times when it hits at only 30k cause it starts right back up again in the same ballpark.

I have a slightly different question from the poster. How big would the jackpot have to be to justify playing every possible straight flush hand and every pocket pair 8 or bigger for a flop? If the jackpot regularly reaches this threshold, couldn't one use a similar strategy as the progressive slot machine teams and get a bunch of people together to strategically be on each jackpot table continuously until it hits, then splitting the money when it does?