PDA

View Full Version : I'm losing faith in this move HU (Party 20+2)

wuwei
03-18-2005, 02:00 AM
I'm curious how often y'all try to "resteal" when you're heads up at the end. Obviously it's player dependent, but I'm starting to question how much folding equity I have even against players that I think are raising enough to make it worthwhile.

My opponent here was somewhat aggressive, but clearly wasn't raising an optimal amount. Every raise he made was a min raise. This was the first time I had played back at him after 16 hands HU.

I'm wondering how often people try this, what type of situation are you looking for, and what range of hands you'll resteal with?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t500 (2 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t3980)
Button (t4020)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t1000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t3980 (All-In)</font>

ZebraAss
03-18-2005, 02:06 AM
I feel if they aren't raising those are the best players to re-steal from. They either are on bad cards or they aren’t very aggressive which means they will wait for a better hand (which totally cripples them). Although you might run into AQ or even worse AJ in this situation it’s still a good move. If he isn’t raising much he probably will call KJ+ A7+ and most pocket pairs.

I like the play.

eastbay
03-18-2005, 04:23 AM
I'd rather see at least one card higher than J for this move.

eastbay

Slim Pickens
03-18-2005, 04:32 AM
16 hands and JTo was the best you found to play back at him? Anyway, I like the resteal move in general, though I usually reserve it for mid-to-big aces and pocket pairs. I know... I should probably get a clue as to what hands are actually stong enough to warrent this rather than just doing whatever the heck I feel like doing, but it's my ROI dammit.

Slim

Degen
03-18-2005, 05:11 AM
i reraise almost every min-raise when its heads up, if i have enuff chips to make them consider folding (and they'll have enuff left continue if they do)

Degen

ZebraAss
03-18-2005, 05:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i reraise almost every min-raise when its heads up, if i have enuff chips to make them consider folding (and they'll have enuff left continue if they do)

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad idea. That is just not +EV. Just play your game. When the blinds are at 300/600 you can not re-raise your opponent hoping he will fold without killing yourself in the action.

Re-raise: Use sparingly

EdgePort
03-18-2005, 01:04 PM
I take it you lost the hand?

What did the player have?

AA suited
03-18-2005, 01:11 PM
-call, then push no matter what flops (wow..i forgot the name of this move /images/graemlins/confused.gif )

SuitedSixes
03-18-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
-call, then push no matter what flops (wow..i forgot the name of this move /images/graemlins/confused.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop-and-Go

wuwei
03-21-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I take it you lost the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, but that's not important. I'll suck out my fair share when called by a better hand.

[ QUOTE ]
What did the player have?

[/ QUOTE ]

He had a weak ace... A3 or something. I didn't improve, and he took it down.

He had one of the hands I would hope my bet would push him off of, which adds to the number of times this move fails. It's a very small sample, but I just don't see people folding. Could be because they finally got a hand they like, and they're taking a stand regardless. Could be they're tired of me raising all the time, and ready to end things one way or the other. I don't really know.

wuwei
03-21-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather see at least one card higher than J for this move.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought was actually I'd prefer a couple cards in the range of 8-J or so. The most likely hands to call will be aces, kings, and queens. Thus, I'm less likely to be dominated when I do get called.

Sensible?

citanul
03-21-2005, 12:19 AM
this, btw, i didnt' get around to it earlier, is amazingly pertinant advice. reraising specifically the miniraises is purely idiotic. especially as the buyins go up.

think about the number of posts that you see even from reputadly good players where they do something "fishing for action." now take it to the logical extreme. that being, miniraising or limping heads up. my point: silly people do unusual things specifically with huge hands. usually, if your opponent pushes every hand heads up, if he starts miniraising randomly, chances are that if you push over this raise, you're [censored].

blech.

citanul

btw: as zebra pointed out: you're going to have very little folding equity most of the time.

SNOWBALL138
03-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Whats wrong with calling the min raise, and then pushing when you miss the flop? its 16-1 against a PP, and he only makes a pair on the pair on the board 32% of the time. If you are looking for folding equity, this is the way to go.