PDA

View Full Version : How can someone do this?

Dead
03-18-2005, 01:27 AM
http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/html/view?entryID=258432

That girl is 16/16 on the 16 first round games today. She picked the Milwaukee upset and the UAB upset.

She's either very lucky or very good, and I'm leaning towards very lucky. So are the rest of people that predicted both of those, although the UAB upset was a lot less surprising than the Milwaukee one.

I thought the 5-12 upset was going to be Villanova-NM for sure. Now I hope it doesn't happen.

Here's my theory though: with millions of people entering on the site, a few are going to manage to predict all 16 right, and a couple are going to do the entire bracket right.

MEbenhoe
03-18-2005, 01:31 AM
or you just had no clue what you were talking about when you said UWM was awful. Just admit it, it'll make you feel good.

Dead
03-18-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
or you just had no clue what you were talking about when you said UWM was awful. Just admit it, it'll make you feel good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I take it back, they're not as bad as I thought. But admit that you did not pencil that upset in on your bracket. No one I knew did. I bet you had Alabama in your sweet 16 just like me bud.

AJay2000
03-18-2005, 01:34 AM
I'm 15/16, and tied for like 50,000! I know you need to have an almost perfect bracket to win the thing. To tie into another recent OOT thread, my team name is 'The Jay Machines,' truly one of the best team names ever. Check it out if you want to sweat me!

- Jay

Dead
03-18-2005, 01:34 AM
You were all good except for Milwaukee eh?

AJay2000
03-18-2005, 01:35 AM
p.s., 'Bama was AWFUL the second half of the year. UWM is pretty good, and if you looked at the trends of both teams, you could see it. Yes, I did have it.

As for tomorrow, COME ON OLD DOMINION!!

- Jay

jesusarenque
03-18-2005, 01:37 AM
I picked both UAB and UWM to win in the first round. The SEC isn't particularly strong this year.

Dead
03-18-2005, 01:39 AM
Which one did you miss then?

I hope Old Dominion beats Michigan State evne though it would f my bracket up. Old Dominion would be much easier for SU than Michigan State.

MEbenhoe
03-18-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I take it back, they're not as bad as I thought. But admit that you did not pencil that upset in on your bracket. No one I knew did. I bet you had Alabama in your sweet 16 just like me bud.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I told you the other day I had Bama beating them. However, my whole argument with you came purely from you calling UWM awful. They clearly are not. However I had BC beating Bama so them losing didnt really effect my bracket.

Dead
03-18-2005, 01:41 AM
So all your sweet sixteen picks that played today are still in it?

It doesn't impress me.

I could have said that FD was an awesome team yesterday and I would have looked like a basketball genius had it panned out. But I didn't. I still don't think Milwaukee is that good. I don't think BC will have trouble with them.

AJay2000
03-18-2005, 01:42 AM
Well, I picked Texas. I REALLY wanted to pick Nevada, but I didn't know as much about them as I did last, year, and I just didn't think the team was as good as last year's. Plus, I sweat Texas, and I thought they had a REALLY good team coming in. Wins over OK, Ok St., etc. I just didn't think they'd lose to Nevada.

Dead
03-18-2005, 01:43 AM
I picked Texas too. And Pitt over Pacific.

AJay2000
03-18-2005, 01:46 AM
It's funny. I'm in NY, and I'm a Big East guy, but I was SO sure of Pacific, so I picked them. And it feels like I picked an UPSET!! Crazy. They're good, could beat Washington. I've got Washington going down in the sweet sixteen

MEbenhoe
03-18-2005, 01:47 AM
I was 12-4 today /images/graemlins/frown.gif Bad Picks:

Bama over UWM
Creighton over WVU
Texas over Nevada
LSU over UAB

nothumb
03-18-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've got Washington going down in the sweet sixteen

[/ QUOTE ]

Me 2, to Tech!!!1!

NT

Dead
03-18-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was 12-4 today /images/graemlins/frown.gif Bad Picks:

Bama over UWM
Creighton over WVU
Texas over Nevada
LSU over UAB

[/ QUOTE ]

I was 10-6 today. So you at least did better than me. But I expect to do better tomorrow(hopefully 14 right at least)

Bad picks:

Texas over Nevada(really hard to predict this crapshoot)
Alabama over UWM
LSU over UAB
Pittsburgh over Pacific
Iowa over Cincinatti
UTEP over Utah

They just didn't fall my way I guess. I really thought that Iowa and UTEP had enough to win, and I thought that Pacific had enough to take out Pitt. The Bama one was just ick.

At least I've only lost one sweet 16 pick so far(bama). The way the day was going I expected to lose at least 2.

The Gonzaga game scared the [censored] out of me. So did Arizona. I fully expected to lose both of them and drop 3 sweet 16 teams on the first day. :\

AJay2000
03-18-2005, 01:52 AM
Thumb - let's keep our fingers crossed.

In a couple friend and family pools, I've got G.T. in the final four, but in my ESPN bracket which I got 15/16 today, I have them losing in the final to UNC. Roy gets his first win, Paul Hewitt gets two finals in a row, then Pauly takes the whole thing next year. I should be a scriptwriter in Hollywood!!

Dead
03-18-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've got Washington going down in the sweet sixteen

[/ QUOTE ]

Me 2, to Tech!!!1!

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Same. And then I have tech losing to Gonzaga.

MEbenhoe
03-18-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

At least I've only lost one sweet 16 pick so far(bama). The way the day was going I expected to lose at least 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it feels good when all your bad picks are people you had dropping the next round anyways

Michael Davis
03-18-2005, 02:01 AM
You can give yourself the best chance to win one of these things if you pick a somewhat outrageous team to win it, maybe a team with a ton of talent that just didn't seem to show up in the regular season. Something like Georgia Tech if they didn't get as high as a 5.

-Michael

ClassicBob
03-18-2005, 02:04 AM
14-2 today. Pitt and LSU let me down.

nothumb
03-18-2005, 02:06 AM
i thnk i have tech gettin pwnsd by wake but i don rembmer

NT

Dead
03-18-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it feels good when all your bad picks are people you had dropping the next round anyways

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah. I had Texas, LSU, Pitt, Iowa, and UTEP all falling in the second round.

But I am still worried about tomorrow, here's what I have:

St. Mary's over So Ill
Oklahoma State over SE Louisiana
GTech over GW
Louisville over LA Lafayette
UNC over Oakland
Minnesota over Iowa State
New Mexico over Villanova
Florida over Ohio
Wisconsin over Northern Iowa
Kansas over Bucknell
NC State over Charlotte
UConn over UCF
Duke over Delaware State
Mississippi State over Stanford(Picking Ms State in my bracket was a mistake, I really meant Stanford, but let's see how it goes)
Michigan State over Old Dominion
Syracuse over Vermont

Of these 16 games, I'm worried about 4-5 of them:

St. Mary's over So Ill- tossup
Iowa State over Minn- tossup
New Mexico over Villanova- I stil think that NM can pull the upset but Villanova has been running well lately
Ms State over Stanford-This will be a very close game imo.
Charlotte vs Nc State- I think NC State can pull the minor upset but its gonna be close

Dead
03-18-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can give yourself the best chance to win one of these things if you pick a somewhat outrageous team to win it, maybe a team with a ton of talent that just didn't seem to show up in the regular season. Something like Georgia Tech if they didn't get as high as a 5.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm counting on Syracuse winning the whole thing to save me in the group. =p

siccjay
03-18-2005, 02:12 AM
No one ever has a perfect bracket when it's all said and done. That girl will probably lose 3 tomorrow.

mmbt0ne
03-18-2005, 02:13 AM
Last year I ended up in the 98.9th percentile with my bracket. I would've been in the top 1000 had Tech beaten UConn. These first rounds don't matter at all. I only had 4 elite 8 teams right, but I had the entire final 4 and championship game right. That's where all the points are.

So far this year I'm a lowly 13-3
Pitt
LSU
Iowa

EDIT: Here's a link to my mirrored bracket from last year: http://www.f2f2s.com/ESPN%20Bracket.html

siccjay
She also has Duke winning it all....good luck with that pick.

Dead
And Niagara was hangin with Oklahoma for a bit. Go figure.

MEbenhoe
I have:

St. Mary's
OSU
GT
Louisville
UNC
ISU
Nova
Florida
UNI
Kansas
NC St
UConn
Duke
Stanford
MSU
Vermont (just for you dead /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

mmbt0ne
03-18-2005, 02:17 AM
St. Mary's
OK St.
GT
Louisville
UNC
Iowa State
Nova
Wisconsin
Kansas
NC St.
UConn
Duke
Stanford
MSU
Cuse

Dead
03-18-2005, 02:18 AM
You said yourself that you have SU losing to Mich State, douchebag. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

radek2166
03-18-2005, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
She picked the Milwaukee upset and the UAB upset.

[/ QUOTE ]

I Hit both of them!!!!

MEbenhoe
03-18-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You said yourself that you have SU losing to Mich State, douchebag. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I actually said that, but if so I misspoke. I have MSU in the sweet 16 and since I figured MSU would beat Cuse anyways, I thought it a fun time to pick a big upset.

Dead
03-18-2005, 02:25 AM
You actually think it's going to happen?

I'm disappointed that Edelin is not coming on the trip. They had a big story on it on the local news tonight. He has "academic troubles". When he plays he is a fantastic complement to GMac, but he hasn't been playing a lot lately. He was an integral part of Syracuse's 2003 championship run.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/8300881

" He averaged 13.8 points as a sophomore, but left the team for personal reasons on Feb. 10 and did not return to the team."

And then I remember last year when they ruled him ineligible for the first half of the season due to "outside competition" rules. NCAA said that playing in a league with a bunch of 40 something guys in the Syracuse suburbs counted as "outside competition" :P

radek2166
03-18-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Iowa over Cincinatti UTEP over Utah

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed those 2 also. DOH!!!!

MEbenhoe
03-18-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You actually think it's going to happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they have a hell of a lot better chance than anyone is giving them, and it gives me something fun to cheer for tomorrow.

Dead
03-18-2005, 02:34 AM
Fine biatch.

Then I'm going to cheer for those Hornets of Delaware State to knock off Duke. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I was honestly so excited when Illinois was only leading by 1 at the half. I was already drawing up Clarkmeister's new avatar. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

MEbenhoe
03-18-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I was honestly so excited when Illinois was only leading by 1 at the half. I was already drawing up Clarkmeister's new avatar. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that gave me just the tiniest inkling of hope even though I knew it would never happen, but wow Clarkmeister definitely would've never heard the end of that.

AJay2000
03-18-2005, 02:41 AM
my picks for tomorrow:

Arizona
Soutern Ill
Ok St.
Georgia Tech
Louisville
UNC
Minnesota
Villanova
Florida
Wisconsin
Kansas
NC State
UConn
Duke
Miss. St.
Old Dominion
Syracuse

Ianco15
03-18-2005, 02:47 AM
Her elite 8 will never happen. Arizona will never beat OK st. and I don't see Georgia Tech geting past Louisville. And Utah! The mountain west is a joke. They're losing to Oklahoma in a blowout.

Dead
03-18-2005, 02:48 AM
Gonzaga beat Oklahoma State at Ok State earlier in the season.

I don't know if you're aware of that. If Gonzaga can handle Ok State then they can handle Louisville.

Ianco15
03-18-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Gonzaga beat Oklahoma State at Ok State earlier in the season.

I don't know if you're aware of that. If Gonzaga can handle Ok State then they can handle Louisville.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said Louisville beats GT not Gonzaga.

Dead
03-18-2005, 03:00 AM
Louisville has to get through GT/Washington to get to Gonzaga/Wake Forest.

Ianco15
03-18-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Louisville has to get through GT/Washington to get to Gonzaga/Wake Forest.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's right. I have them beating GT. I never said they beat Gonzaga.

CieloAzor
03-18-2005, 03:12 AM
I'm pretty pleased with the Day 1 results. I could've got burned putting UW-M and Pacific into the Sweet 16 but they both got through Round 1 unscathed. I nailed the UAB picked as well. My only letdowns were Iowa falling to Cincy and Texas to Nevada. I didn't have them going any farther than the Round of 32 so I can live with it.

J_V
03-18-2005, 04:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and a couple are going to do the entire bracket right.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one will do this. See why?

Dead
03-18-2005, 04:30 AM
I don't know man. With so many entries, I think someone might.

AngryCola
03-18-2005, 04:47 AM
I haven't read the other posts, but I picked both of those games right.

Ive only missed 2 games so far. I had Creighton over West Virginia (so close), and Iowa over Cincy because of how poorly they always do in the tourney.

Both of my misses I had going out in the next round anyway.
So it still looks good for me.

Dead
03-18-2005, 04:50 AM
I had Iowa over Cincy but not Creighton over WV.

I'm impressed with the Milwaukee pick.

AngryCola
03-18-2005, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but not Creighton over WV.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a bigger disappointment for me than the Cincy win. Creighton really had that game, but it wasn't to be.

Dead
03-18-2005, 04:54 AM
WV is a scrappy team though(not that Creighton isn't). They fight hard for the ball, and really go after it with all they've got. I don't like their chances against Wake Forest for obvious reasons, but if a 2 seed goes down early, it is going to be Wake Forest, imo.

AngryCola
03-18-2005, 05:05 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/AngryCola/bracket.jpg

Dead
03-18-2005, 05:07 AM
I don't think Pacific can beat Washington.
I think that St. Mary's will pull the upset on the Salukis.
I really don't think that Texas Tech can beat Gonzaga. They'd better not, those kids are in my Final Four.

=p

And, I think Syracuse will beat Duke! That's right MEbenhoe.
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

AngryCola
03-18-2005, 05:08 AM
I see a lot of "I don't think(s)", but what was your record today/yesterday?

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dead
03-18-2005, 05:12 AM
Check it tomorrow(I mean tonight). =p

8-9's and 7-10's are very hard to predict.

I think that 3 of your Sweet 16 picks won't make it there(I don't think Utah, Pacific, or Texas Tech will)

AngryCola
03-18-2005, 05:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure no matter what happens I'll still be ahead of you tomorrow. I doubt we have enough conflicting picks.

14-2
10-6

Dead
03-18-2005, 05:27 AM
Yeah. I'm not sure why you picked UAB. UAB had 10 losses and din't beat a ranked team all year. I was very surprised when LSU fell to UAB. I think 90% people of were.

Jake (The Snake)
03-18-2005, 05:27 AM
I'm pretty sure it's never been done before. Ever.

I could easily be wrong.

Actually, this is something I've been wondering about...

AngryCola
03-18-2005, 05:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know man. With so many entries, I think someone might.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course this is only a small fraction of all bracket entries, but all of the ESPN contest entrants have missed at least one.
You can have 5 seperate entries in that contest.
That's fairly telling.

I only put one entry in. Isn't that stupid?

Dead
03-18-2005, 05:32 AM
Someone will do it someday.

A perfect bracket has to be obtainable.

ethan
03-18-2005, 08:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Someone will do it someday.

A perfect bracket has to be obtainable.

[/ QUOTE ]

If each game is a coinflip, the odds against getting the whole tourney right are around 9,000,000,000,000,000,000:1. If you pick correctly 2/3 of the time, it's closer to 125,000,000,000:1. If you pick correctly 3/4 of the time, that's around 75,000,000:1.

Shajen
03-18-2005, 09:47 AM
Bama fuct my bracket something fierce. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

I should have not flipped coins when I filled out my bracket.

Rick Diesel
03-18-2005, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/html/view?entryID=258432

That girl is 16/16 on the 16 first round games today. She picked the Milwaukee upset and the UAB upset.

She's either very lucky or very good, and I'm leaning towards very lucky. So are the rest of people that predicted both of those, although the UAB upset was a lot less surprising than the Milwaukee one.

I thought the 5-12 upset was going to be Villanova-NM for sure. Now I hope it doesn't happen.

Here's my theory though: with millions of people entering on the site, a few are going to manage to predict all 16 right, and a couple are going to do the entire bracket right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody will get the entire bracket right.

AngryCola
03-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Quoting myself:
[ QUOTE ]
all of the ESPN contest entrants have missed at least one

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa, I should have bothered to read the whole OP of this thread. It's weird, I checked the leaderboard right before I made that post, and it did not give me the same results it's showing now. Apparently quite a few people picked all 16.

Oops. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

mmbt0ne
03-18-2005, 05:27 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
New Mexico over Villanova

[/ QUOTE ]

New Mexico scored 11 points in the first half.

LotsOfOuts69
03-18-2005, 05:34 PM
I'm also 15/16 losing only the cincy-Iowa matchup. I picked Wisconsin -Mil. because I mistook them for Wisconsin-GB which was a 5-12 upset like 8 to 10 years ago in the first pool I ever played in.

--LoO

AngryCola
03-18-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think that St. Mary's will pull the upset on the Salukis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Still undefeated on the day so far. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

MEbenhoe
03-18-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Vermont (just for you dead /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif