PDA

View Full Version : The Spy Who Came In From The Cold

ThaSaltCracka
03-17-2005, 11:28 PM
I have had this book for close to 10 years because we were suppose to read it in HS. Well, I remember when I had to read it for school I basically read the first two chapters and was hella bored by it, so I stopped reading it and just skipped to the last chapter(which is quite short) and read that. So basically I hadn't really read the book.

So.... I decided to actually read it. Its pretty good, some cool twists and turns and it reads fast. Pretty good book.
For those who are asking what its about, well, its basically a Cold War spy novel between the British and the Communists in East Germany. There is a sort of sappy love story in it as well.

****spoilers in white*******

<font color="white">
For those who have read it, do you think that at the end Mundt tipped off the guards at the boarder and wanted them to kill the girl anyways, but still allow Leamas to get away? </font>

M2d
03-17-2005, 11:38 PM
damn, you got to read lecarre in hs? beats the hell out of shakespeare and wordsworth.
_______
that thought did cross my mind.

ThaSaltCracka
03-17-2005, 11:42 PM
I read Shakespeare in 7th and 8th grade, and in HS. But I also got to read a wide array of books from some big and some small names.

[censored], in 7th and 8th grade we read The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring.

-------------
It makes sense to me as well. I am actually annoyed I didn't read the book earlier because of how some of the stuff went down was cold blooded. Still confused by the actions of some of the characters though.

M2d
03-17-2005, 11:48 PM
have you read his other stuff? the smiley ones give some background. also, they're good reads, but the end of the cold war kind of dated some of his writing.

deacsoft
03-17-2005, 11:49 PM
http://photobucket.com/albums/v356/deacsoft/th_133421.jpg

ThaSaltCracka
03-17-2005, 11:50 PM
I haven't read anything else from him. In fact I have been meaning to read "Catch 22" based upon Zeno's recommendation. Is Le Carre's other stuff worth reading?

scrub
03-18-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read anything else from him. In fact I have been meaning to read "Catch 22" based upon Zeno's recommendation. Is Le Carre's other stuff worth reading?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Karla trilogy is the most entertaining stuff--Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Honorable Schoolboy and Smiley's People. There is also wonderful BBC miniseries based on the novels starring Alec Guinness.

A Perfect Spy is probably his "best" novel. It's incredibly long and not as entertaining as the Smiley books, though. You will probably get sick of it if you read it right after another of his novels--that's a long time to keep reading the same sort of bleakness.

If you like Le Carre, you might like reading some Graham Greene.

scrub