PDA

View Full Version : Party 5/10 6-m - How to extract most money on river?

vector2
03-17-2005, 09:32 PM
No real reads on any players.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds, MP calls.

Turn: (5.70 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

River: (8.70 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero ????.

Final Pot: 14.70 BB

Also, where else did I screw up in this hand?

djoyce003
03-17-2005, 09:50 PM
Well, you lead out I think. I lead out on this. If I get raised, I call most likely. You've got a couple of bad cards out there...QJ or AQ are normal raising hands for lots of people....what you are hoping is that villain has QK if he raises you. If nobody has a queen, this is likely to get checked through on the river and you want to ensure a bet goes in....you also however, want to guard against paying off a full house here, so I just lead, I do not reraise unless i have a great read on opponent.

7ontheline
03-17-2005, 10:14 PM
I'm curious to see what other people say here - I probably lead and 3-bet if it gets raised back to me on the river. I think being afraid of a boat is overly scared play.

The MP looks like a lone Q - if MP had QJ they would have bet more on the flop or checkraised the turn. AQ presumably would have raised preflop. The CO just calling MP's bet on the turn also suggests he does not have a Q. One of these guys probably has enough hand to bet it for you, but I would lead out to make sure and hope to get raised.

Does anyone lead the flop? Sometimes I do with a decent draw, but I'm not sure that I'm doing it with a plan. Then what on the turn when you don't improve? Hmm.

RunDownHouse
03-18-2005, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone lead the flop? Sometimes I do with a decent draw, but I'm not sure that I'm doing it with a plan. Then what on the turn when you don't improve? Hmm.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was wondering the same thing. I think if I know the pf raiser to be real aggressive, I lead here and hope to tie the two players between to the pot for two bets on the flop. I like it even more with a better draw.

Good? Bad? How big of a draw do you need to make a flop play like that? What if you have an OESD with a backdoor nut flush draw, and the turn brings another of the suit you need? Do you lead out on the turn hoping that the two players will call again and you'll get raised again, or is that situation so read-dependent that a meaningful general answer doesn't exist?

I ramble on too much stout.

helpmeout
03-18-2005, 05:45 AM
Bet the flop.

I probably bet out without any reads.

vector2
03-18-2005, 07:51 AM
I'm not understanding the logic for betting the flop. It seems as if the CO would raise regardless of what he has and then I'd have to pay two sb on the flop to draw. I know that I'd definitely raise the flop with anything if it was only one bet to me and I was the CO. Betting out on the flop in first position usually screams "speculative hand" and is just asking to be raised.

helpmeout
03-18-2005, 08:22 AM
You have a good draw and an overcard. You shouldnt be too worried if you get heads up with maybe 11 outs.

He might take a freecard if you dont bet(I dont see many PPs or A9 type hands betting here) and with all that equity you want people to pay money on the flop to allow you to draw out on the river if you miss the turn.

Even better 2 people call and CO raises you are looking good with 8 outs to the nuts. I'd still be fairly happy with hitting a K in this situation as well.

Gazza
03-18-2005, 08:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not understanding the logic for betting the flop. It seems as if the CO would raise regardless of what he has and then I'd have to pay two sb on the flop to draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

What sort of thinking is that?
Consider your hands in terms of their equity and not whether they are drawing hands or made hands.
You clearly have a very strong hand after the flop and leading out is a perfectly good option. However, I would still be tempted to play this one passively.
Because of:
1) position
2) not much chance of winning without a showdown
3) meta game considerations. I play most of my draws very aggressively and this hand presents a good opportunity to mix up one's play.

spider
03-18-2005, 12:35 PM
Flop: Could go either way IMO. If UTG/MP tend to make loose flop calls, then you'd love to trap them from as many bets as possible since you have solid 4 way equity. The most common situation is probably one calls and one folds in which case it doesn't much matter what you do.

River: I'd check planning to check-raise when it goes bet-call. I think you'll lose 2 bets no matter how you play it when CO has AQ (unless you could fold here). I think you'll usually make an extra 2 BBs here by going for the check-raise although it will check through sometimes. Worth the risk IMO.