PDA

View Full Version : Why raise from early position?

og5
03-17-2005, 08:59 PM
When I raise a good hand from early position I will be lucky to get 1 or 2 callers. Usually the whole table just folds giving me only the blinds. This doesn't gain as much as if I would have just called which would get others to enter the pot and hopeully pay me a lot more if i hit something. I know you will lose pots doing this but I think the larger pots you do get are worth it. Do you guys think this is a mistake?

Thanks

Entity
03-17-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Usually the whole table just folds giving me only the blinds

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to work on table selection. The last time I raised UTG with Aces I was coldcalled by 3 players and the blinds.

Rob

rmarotti
03-17-2005, 10:48 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

CallMeIshmael
03-17-2005, 11:11 PM
a) Which site are you playing at?
b) Work on table selection
c) Very few hands have an EV higher than the blinds. Generally, be happy that you got them.
d) Read SSHE.

Catt
03-17-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Usually the whole table just folds giving me only the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I might be raising pretty damn frequently in such circumstances. But I'd probably find a different table. The only thing I can say for sure is that I would not be tempted to limp my good hands.

og5
03-18-2005, 12:35 AM
a)Party
b)Ya I haven't been focusing on this much, I'm going to start selecting tables based on PV stats
c) Really? I guess this would be important at the higher stakes where you have to push small edges, but at my limit (1/2 and 2/4) I have to overcome a higher rake and most importantly, bad beats which take away most of my winnings and sometimes leave me negative. So I'm after more than $3 for my AQ
d)currently on my 2nd time through it

Thanks

EDIT just looking at the PV stats my tables are normally around 25-30% VPIP which I think is decent (not great though) I think my tight image is what causes the whole table to fold

Stefan Prodan
03-18-2005, 12:44 AM
You don't have an image at 1/2 or 2/4 Party. Trust me.

crunchy1
03-18-2005, 01:02 AM
25-30% Table VP$IP is NOT good at the Party 1/2 and 2/4. Good tables are 32% and up. I find them regularly.

CallMeIshmael
03-18-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a)Party

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't have to look too hard to find a good table then.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm after more than $3 for my AQ

[/ QUOTE ]

AQ, especially AQo, does not have an EV of greater than 0.75BB. (I'm slightly above that for AQs, but don't have anywhere near enough hands to know). You should be happy with the blinds.