PDA

View Full Version : against a maniac

djr
03-17-2005, 07:45 PM
before you flame, the PFR was a misclick I had intended to fold.

I'm interested in comments on the turn. The villian is very aggressive, but if you push back at him he will drop bluffs and really weak holdings. That he reraised me tells me he has either the Q or a T.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($100.25)
Button ($108.65)
SB ($95)
BB ($40)
UTG ($40.60)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, Button calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $1.

Flop: ($6.50) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $8</font>, BB folds, Hero calls $4.

Turn: ($22.50) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $16</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $27</font>, Hero calls $11.

River: ($76.50) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, Button calls $20.

Final Pot: $116.50

SeattleJake
03-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Even on the turn I figure it has to be the Q. Haven't seen second pair raise much like that. Though QT was a possibility there too.

By the turn, it had to be KQ/images/graemlins/diamond.gif/QJ/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Couldn't see him raising to only $16 then only calling if he hit a boat.

His backdoor flush hit on the river, and he was worried you had the A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif but had to look you up. A timid player I'd put on KQ, but since you said he was aggressive then QJ.

I think giving him the opportunity to bet on the turn was good, as if you bet small he'd raise and then you're not sure if you should reraise or not.

I don't think a bigger bet on the river would have put him off, maybe 1/2 pot. The low bet could have appeared weak, but also could have appeared like you were just begging for a reraise.

SlyAK
03-17-2005, 10:52 PM
I'd push on the river here, since its less than a pot-sized bet. You'll be surprised how often they will call with relatively weak hands.

A 2nd line if he is a really aggressive maniac is to check the river and let him bluff all-in. This isnt the best against most players, but if he is the type to try to buy every pot, that line would be best.

Sly

Dubra
03-17-2005, 11:53 PM
looks to me like a queen. i also agree with above posters push. if he has the flush he calls, if he has something like AQ he might call too putting you on a bluff.

djr
03-18-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A timid player I'd put on KQ, but since you said he was aggressive then QJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

you nailed it.

Thanks for the thoughts!